Chapter 29

Cameron had never felt awkward with Scott. Their friendship had started in college and it had deepened even after they had started their separate careers. It has began with their shared love for football and branched from there. But, today, in Scott's car, there was an air of awkwardness and anger between them.

He knew it was because of Sharon but not only that. He had broken Scott's trust in him. Scott had explicitly said to look after her in one of their conversations. He had also said not to hook up with her. He had mentioned it a few times in fact. But, to Cameron, it wasn't a hook up. She was his future. Mother to his children. He could see them growing old together, the fire he had for her still strong, still bright. He had to make him see that if he wanted their friendship to survive. However, he could see that it did not help that he had dodged his calls since the day the media revealed their relationship.

At the restaurant, Cameron requested a table even though they were only ordering takeout. Scott hadn't looked at him. The waitress tried to flirt and tempt them but they ignored her. Scott, because he was married. And for Cameron... Objectively, he realised she was attractive, beautiful even but he only wanted his dark-haired, emerald lady.

'That was the first time I had ever seen you ignore an invitation,'Scott said. At the blank look from Cameron, he just indictated to the waitress who'd just left.

'Well, I'm a one woman man now,'he informed Scott. 'Plus she has nothing on Sharon, who's warm, smart, beautiful and make me feel like a teenager with his first crush.' And he immediately felt like hitting his head on the table. Oh yeah, why don't you just try and jump off a bridge at the same time? Idiot.

He hadn't meant to say all that. Made him sound like he was buttering him up even if all that was said had been true. He wanted Scott to make the first move. But now that the subject had been broached, might as well go all out. 'What do you have against me and Sharon?'

Slightly taken aback by both the confession and his directness, he took a moment to answer. The time was enough for Cameron to start looking at the menu. He was searching for healthier dishes because he knew Sharon. She'd be baking some unhealthy yet delicious desert so he had to balance it out.

'Well, that was intense,'Scott finally said as he also looked over the menu too. 'But considering your history, don't you think I, her brother-in-law, have some room to be worried? Especially when she first approached us.'

'Yeah, she told me all about it.'

'She did? Well, good for her. She needed someone to vent to and Amelia was going mad with worry that'd she'd do something drastic.'

'Nah. Sharon's not suicidal. The only thing she would have done is gorge on ice cream until she gets over it. Don't know when she would have without me but the only threat she poses to is her arteries. She may have been wary and guarded but I would like to think I've helped her over them.'

Seeing the secretive grin on his face, Scott looked like he was debating whether to be offended or amused. In the end he just smiled and shook his head. 'From what I saw today, I glad that she had moved on from that dick. Although I'm not going to ask how you helped her. It's best if I don't lie to Amelia, especially since I've gotten back into her good graces after you spilled the beans on my bachelor habits.' At that, he shot Cameron an annoyed look. To which he laughed uproariously. The other patrons looked at them, some eyes lighting up as they recognised the athlete.

'Well, you didn't inform me about Sharon. So I just assumed,'he retorted, shrugging, after he stopped laughing. Scott just frowned.

They had already placed their orders and were waiting for it. Meanwhile, those who recognised him had taken out their phones but he ignored them. He didn't mind. How exactly was their outing incriminating? It'd be interesting to see what they came out with.  Anyway, Sharon wouldn't mind. She had been surprisingly chill about the recent articles. Especially the ones regarding the dinner. When he asked her about it, he response was,'It's not bad. And as I've said. You'll protect me if it ever become nasty.'