Chapter 10

Sharon stared at Cameron in shock. So did Matt. The outburst was uncharacteristic of him. It was like a kitten suddenly morphing into a tiger. So unexpected and scary. Not that she was scared of him. It's just that his anger was a sight to behold. His eyes had a scary glint to it, almost like a berserker, his face had hardened until he looked like a statue.

'But - but why?'she asked, wide eyed. He turned his scary eyes to her. She took a step back. His face softened.

'You've just met the man,' he said. 'And you talked to him for what, an hour? How can you know that the job is legitimate?'

'Well, first off, I met you like barely 2 days ago. And you don't see me distrusting you,'she told him. She shot him a glare when he was about to interrupt. 'Plus, Gabriel is a nice man. We talked about a lot of things within that 1 hour. He told me about his family, friends. His job. So I don't see why I can't apply there.'

Cameron looked like he was going to explode. 'Well, your sister vouched for me. So you have a valid reason to not distrust me. And how do you know that this Gabriel hadn't lied about what he told you? Are you psychic so much so that you know that he was truthful? You don't do you? So you cannot trust him!'

Even though she could not answer him, she didn't want to give him the satisfaction. She stepped up to him.

'Why are you against him soo much? What did he do to you?'she shouted.

'Well. If you weren't so naive, you wouldn't be soo gullible to the man's machinations,'he shouted back.

That hit a bit too close to home. She felt her eyes filling. Cameron was taken aback.

'Sharon, I-I didn't mean it that way,'he said slowly. She turned away. He put his arm around her. 'Sharon, what's wrong? What did I say?'he asked her softly.

She felt soo dumb. She shouldn't have reacted like that. But the words that he chose brought back the reminder of why she was in New York. She had not recovered from the debilitating blow yet. She needed time.

She should reassure Cameron though. He was looking increasingly panicky. She smiled up at him and got out of his comforting arm. He didn't look reassured. He had the slight, sexy crease between his brows.

'It's nothing,'she told him. 'You - you just reminded me of something.'

'Will you tell me about it?'he asked. She shook her head. He crease became a full blown scowl. 'When will you tell me? Or maybe I should ask when will you be ready to tell me?'

'When I am,'she said calmly. She was glad he wasn't pushing her. 'Now I'll continue with breakfast. Excuse me.'

  - --------@@@@-----------

Cameron's eyes followed her figure to the kitchen. He wanted to demand who made her cry but he knew she wouldn't tell him. Furthermore, she would make another vile concoction, maybe Spanish omelet with strawberry ice cream. Or bacon with chocolate ice cream. His stomach gurgled even as he thought about it. He felt bile climbing his throat.

'Well, that was certainly an interesting way to start the day,'Matt said. Cameron had forgotten that Matt was there. 'I had never seen you back down from anyone or comfort any woman.'

'You do not push her, man,'he told Matt as he retook his seat beside Matt. 'She will mix your food with her favourite food and make you eat it. Not nice, man.'

Matt was confused. 'Isn't that good?'

'He favourite food is ice cream,'Cameron told him drily. He saw the disgust in Matt's face. 'I made the mistake yesterday and my delicious, perfect lasagne became some ice cream mixed blob. I almost puked but she was looking at me expectantly. I can't Let her have the satisfaction.' Matt looked both amused and disgusted.

'So about the job,'Matt said, getting back to business. 'What are her qualifications?'

'She went to community college back at her hometown and was the top of her class. She worked for a few small businesses as an independent contractor and filed all their taxes, kept track of their expenses and such. The businesses were more than satisfied with her service, from what I was told. Plus you've met her. She will not disappoint you.' Cameron tried not to look soo hopeful but he wanted to get this for Sharon.

'Stop trying to sell her on me,'Matt said, chuckling. 'She sold herself when she came in here and you cringed. Yeah, don't think I didn't see that. She must be a strong woman who takes no shit from anyone, even you, the king of bullshit. Which is good, if she is to survive babysitting you overblown athletes.' Cameron sent him a frown but he was grateful that he was willing to take a chance on Sharon.

'I have to ask, though. Did you ever consider the fact that she will be surrounded by fit, good - looking, even handsome, males all day long?'