Where Are You Going?

I glance back up at the clock placed on the wall that reads 2:15 and I sigh while looking back down at my test. The only sound sounding in the classroom was the constant clicking of my pencil on the wooden desk and the ticking of the clock as the time passed.

School has been over since 1:45 and I’m not even half way done with my mathematics test. Everything on the paper looks confusing as for I missed so many days out of the week to even grasp the concept. I tried learning it on my own but it got me nowhere. Basically everyone finished on time and stormed out of the class as soon as the bell rang and here I am, still working on a test I’m bound to fail. I guess they were right when they said I was a stupid child.

2(3 + 8) + 5(2 + 3) / 2 =?

I furrow my eyebrows at the question and begin filling in random bubbles for all of the twenty questions that followed afterward. I look back up at the clock before grabbing my things and walking over to my teacher who was situated at her desk with her head bowed down as she checked over the tests our class just took.

“Harry, how did you think you did?” Mrs. Lim question while looking up. A smile forms on her face when she stares over at me.

I shift on my feet nervously while making eye contact with her. “I think I failed.” I mumble.

“What makes you say that, Harry? Did you study like everyone else for the test while you were at home?” she probed.

“I didn’t study because I don’t know how to. I’m the stupidest kid in the class and everyone else is smarter than me.” I admit quietly.

A frown masks her face as she drinks in what I said. “Harry, come over here” she says while motioning behind her desk. I timidly stroll over towards her open armed figure before hesitantly wrapping my little arms around her. Her arms encircle around my body and I rest my head over her shoulder. It feels like forever since I’ve been hugged by someone who truly cares about me. Her presence is motherly and my mind flickers to my mother who I thought once loved and cared for me.

I feel my heart break an extra piece when she breaks away from hug. She stares down at me and lifts her hands up to wipe away the tears that escaped from my eyes tenderly with the pads of her thumbs.  

“Please don’t ever say that about yourself again. You are a very smart and handsome young boy. Don’t let this test determine your intelligence because there is always space for improvement. You might not be the best mathematician but you’re one of the best writers in the class Harry. Everyone in the class was blown away for your poem last week including myself last week because it was so beautiful. Remember the round of applauses you got afterwards?”

“Yes, I remember.”

“How did it make you feel?”

I shrug my shoulders lightly. “I guess I felt smart.” And liked for once.

“Don’t guess. You are very smart. Would you like to know what you got on it?” she questions with a raise of eyebrows.

“Yes please”

She smiles widely and holds onto my hands. “You were the only person in the class to get a 100.” She beams and I smile.

“Really?” I ask eagerly.

She nods her head up and down. “Yes.”

“It’s almost three, would your parents mind if I give you a ride home? It’s raining pretty bad outside.” She questions.