She's Fiesty

London’s POV

“I still can’t believe you’re even here” I beamed over at Carter while he rolled his eyes.

The last time I have physically seen him was at the end of sophomore year at my old school back in New York. His family had to move down to Florida to care for his ill grandfather and they forced him to come with. My parents even offered to let him stay with us because they knew how close we were but they denied only because they didn’t want him to become a burden for us. I had to scoff at that because if anything he was like family. The day of him leaving is still clear in my memory.

“I guess this is it” Carter replied while picking up the last of his boxes and placing it in the U-Haul truck. His hands reached up and pulled the back of the truck down, closing it.

He turned around and smiled down at me. His nose was slightly red due to the cold weather in January. A gust of blew past us causing my hair to fly backwards as the wind smacked into my face. I gripped onto my coat tighter to shield me from the harsh winds.

“I wish you didn’t have to leave. I don’t even know how I’m supposed to get through the school year without you.” my voice mumbled.

 Why did my best friend out of all people have to go? It wasn’t fair

“Don’t say that London, you have Lauren and all of your other girlfriends to hang out with” he gave me a soft smile. I could look in his eyes and see the sadness they held.

“I know but still Carter, it won’t be the same without you” my voice cracked and I bowed my head down.

“London”

“Come here” he called while he opened his arms up. I took a step forward and enclosed my arms around him. His arms soon found their way around my back as he pulled me closer into his warm chest.

Moments like these are what I’m going to miss the most.

“I’m going to miss you so much” I said as I sniffled and gripped him tighter. I didn’t want to let go but I knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

“I’m going to miss you more than words can describe London, trust me” he said as he patted my head softly.

We stayed like that for a couple of more minutes before he pulled away, cradling my face in his palms.

“Don’t cry before you make me cry” he said while wiping away a few stray tears with the pad of his thumbs.

“Now where’s that beautiful smile at?” he said while pinching my cheeks and grinning down at me like I was a baby.

“Stop that” I said while rolling my eyes and laughing.

“There it is!”

“Carter sweetie, you’re father and I are getting ready to leave” his mother called.

“Well, I guess this is goodbye” I said with a smile.

“Yeah, sadly” he said as his eyes peered down at me. He bent his head down and placed a kiss on my forehead before removing his hands from my face and leaving me with a smile etched on it.

I gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“I don’t know when but I promise to visit you” he said and I nodded.

I waved off at them as their cars disappeared down the road.

“Well, believe it because I am” he grinned as he rolled the ball back over to me. Our gym teacher decided to let us do what we want today so we just settled upon rolling a ball.