The Life After Tartarus Ch.4

Chapter 4: Percy

I wasn't listening to Jason throughout the meeting instead I was watching the others. Piper of course would listen and Hazel and Frank were also listening very attentively. Leo seemed distant. But Annabeth was the most distant. I felt bad for not sitting with her but I didn't want to really talk to anyone at the time being. I remembered when I first met Annabeth and how we hated each other. So much has changed since then. Whenever I was with her I always knew what to do. But I wasn't sure what to do anymore. I felt the same way when Thalia came back. Every single time something happened Grover turned to Thalia and it felt the same way. Everyone was looking up to Jason now. It made me wonder when they elected him as leader. Then again there wasn't really a leader in the first place. It made me feel I don't know angry? No jealous...

The meeting finished 10 minutes later. I started walking over to my room.

"We need to talk" said Annabeth. I didn't really want to but I learned a long time ago not to argue with Annabeth.

"Fine come inside"

She stared at me with those intimidating grey eyes filled with light and knowledge and happiness I come to love but right now it was hard to look at they were stormy and anger flared through them but at the same time confused. We were silent for 1...2...3 minutes

"Why are you so distant Percy?! I'm worried about you! You aren't talking to anybody- to me! Are you mad at me did I do something wrong?"

"No annabeth you didn't do anything I just need time to recover"

"I can help you with that Percy I understand what you went through"

"No you don't! Maybe you were there with me Annabeth but you didn't know how I was feeling. Always scared of losing you or me not able to protect you. I didn't want to look weak so I tried protecting you but then I ended up hurting myself and then I blamed myself that if I died I wouldn't be able to protect you. I was scared for you Annabeth for you only. Now were back and I realized I'm scared of me too. Every time I look at a shadow I feel threatened. Everytime I sleep I had bad dreams. Some of those nightmares from our journey in Tartarus." I felt tears coming from my eyes. I wasn't sure if I scared her or if she even wants to talk to me now so I look the other way. She slipped her hand into mine.

"Percy don't you think I felt the same way? I felt guilty everytime you got hurt. Guilty because I got you into this mess. I knew that if you died it would be my fault!" I turned around and saw that she was crying. The anger gone and suddenly I felt bad. I shouldn't have made her cry. I pulled her closer to me and kissed her tears away.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty for me wise girl. I will always be here. But at the time I just want to be by myself ok?"

Annabeth nodded. And walked out the door. A few minutes later Leo walked in.

"Um hey Percy... You probably don't want to talk a lot right now but I need you to tell me something."

"Uh sure what is it Leo?"

"Why didn't you save Calypso?"