Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

"How long was I out?" I asked, continuing my private discussion with Nurse Dawson.

"Uh, eight days," she answered, looking over her clipboard.

I leant back deeper into the crackling hospital pillow, wishing I had been more careful on the road that evening.

Before the nurse could continue any further, the door was hastily pushed open to reveal a different Samantha.

"Nassy? Taylor said you were awake!" she squealed, manoeuvring her way through the door on crutches.

Both Tay and Paul's voices came in unison. "Sam!"

"Oh, shut up," Sam told them, making me smile. That was typical Sam behaviour. She turned to look at me further before beginning her hobble to my bedside. The nurse did not seem to mind. She was already fiddling with machinery.

Before I could get a word of apology in, Sam began to rant. "How are you feeling?" She sat herself on the pink chair beside my hospital bed as Taylor and Paul walked into the room, each holding their own daughter. It was a sight I would never tire of seeing.

"I'm alright, Sam. What about you?" I asked, truly concerned for my friend.

"Pfft, a broken leg. It's nothing," she said, lying her crutcher down on the floor. "I hear that you're going to have to live in a wheelchair though," she said more sincerely.

"Yeah, that'll be fun," I replied sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"Oh, don't be such a downer," she said, trying to lighten the mood, "A few weeks of rehab and then you'll be wheeled down the isle!"

I smiled at her words; she'd worded my exact plan. Taylor wasn't looking at me, so I couldn't see his reaction to Sam's words, though I knew they should be mirroring my own.

"We managed to recover the dresses and everything!" Sam continued, going deep into her ramble about the wedding. It was good to know that there was at least another who wasn't going to let anything get in the way of it.

* * *

"We'd better head home," Becky said hours after the sun had fallen beyond the western landscape.

Taylor had called Dad, Becky, Brian, Cathy, Dallas and Courtney to announce the news of my awakening. They'd all arrived promptly, and had spent all afternoon sitting by my hospital bed. The nurse had been kind enough to supply a sufficient amount of chairs, and they were all sprawled across the floor.

Sam and Bridget were both cuddled up to Paul as they fell asleep; Dallas was talking to Taylor, Brian, Cathy, Dad and Becky; and Courtney held a sleeping Tahlia as she sat beside me, talking.

Dad looked at his watch. "Yeah, I think you're right."

Dad and Becky collected their various goods and bid me goodbye. Dallas stayed behind, seeing as he'd driven himself down.

As soon as they were gone, conversations started up again, and Courtney began talk about the wedding.

"So, Josh, Hayley, Sophie, Zac and I have all been talking, and we really want to do something special at the wedding," she said, nursing Tahlia still.

"You guys are already going to be doing so much, just by being there. Expecially you, maid of honour," I replied.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Courtney said, pushing it aside, "but we want do something else as well."

This confused me. "What else is there to do?"

"Well, we need some experience performing live as a band right...?" she hinted.

I thought about it. I truly did. But, I still had no idea what on Earth she was on about. "Courtney, I've been under anaethsetic for over a week - my mind is not fully working yet. So please, in plain English?"

Courtney groaned before leaning in to whisper in my ear. "We want to be your live band at the wedding."

I choked in a gasp, truly amazed at her words. "Are you sure?"

Courtney nodded. "We asked Taylor, but he was a bit reluctant to say anything about the wedding whilst you were under, but he seemed keen."

"That would be great Courtney. I have the perfect song I want you guys to perfect..." I trailed off and gave her all the details, being careful so that Tay couldn't hear us. I did notice him looking at me a few times as though he wished he could hear me. No way, this was going to be a surprise.