Chapter 11

CHAPTER 11

(TAYLOR'S POINT OF VIEW)

"Daddy, I'm bored," Tahlia whined.

She was sitting across my lap, bouncing out of frustration. I couldn't blame her - I'd been selfish enough to keep her with me as I sat by Nas' side over the past eight days. But, I needed to hold Tahlia, just to make sure that she was still with me.

"I know sweetie, I know," I brushed her blonde hair away from her blue eyes as I planted my lips gently against her forehead. "Do you want to do some colouring?"

She gave a stubborn nod.

I leant over the arm of my chair and pulled out Tahlia's colouring book from her pink backpack. I grabbed her box of greatly abused crayons also. I pulled over the hospital tray table and put it at a position in which Tahlia could reach. I put her colouring book on the table and opened her box of crayons. Instantly, she was colouring.

I watched as she messily scribbled over an outlined drawing of a family consisting of a mother, a father, and a young child. Tahlia's colouring was a masterpiece in my mind. Although it was very rough, she had an enormous amount of concentration burning in her eyes.

After almost half an hour of colouring, Tahlia turned to look at me. "Daddy, look what I did for Mummy."

I looked at her finished artwork. Most of it was pink and green, but it had something special about it. "It's beautiful, Tahlia. Mummy'll love it."

"Daddy, how do you write 'To Mummy, from Tahlia'?" She asked, grey crayon in hand.

She hardly knew how to read or write, but she was an extremely keen learner. I twined my hand around her own small one, and the contrast between my olive skin and her pale skin was incredible - that would be a hard one to explain in ten years or so.

I guided her hand across the page, shaping the letters that she wanted. We were just finishing the last letter when Nurse Dawson walked through the door.

"Mr. Elliott, the doctors have examined your fiancée's body and they want to begin the process in waking her up. We can't delay it too long, or else we may not have the same ability to heal her spine and lower body."

"Of course; please, go ahead." I replied, shying away from the thought of delaying.

I watched as the nurse fiddled with various parts of machinery. I dragged the chair - and Tahlia - closer to Nas. My hand reached out and held hers immediately.

"What's happening, Daddy?" Tahlia asked.

"The nurse is going to wake Mummy up, Tahlia."

"Really?" she asked. It was the first time she'd been excited for days.

"Really, really," I replied.

I sunk deeper into the chair and waited for my love to awake...