Chapter 07

CHAPTER 7

(BACK TO NASETTIA'S POINT OF VIEW)

Time passes ever so slowly - especially when you're waiting for something that's never going to arrive. A secret.

That's all I need, and all I want, to know - a stupid, goddamn secret.

The past week gave a new meaning to the word hell. I'd spent Monday night crying my heart and soul out, not even getting the slightest amount of sleep. Tuesday, I put on a brave face and attempted to continue on without Taylor - that was harder than I had expected. There was no one there to catch my fall, and no one to put a smile on my face.

I'd expected Tahlia to make me smile and laugh, but she did the exact opposite of that. After arriving home from Geelong on the bus, Tahlia had started asking questions.

"Mummy, where's Daddy?" she'd asked as I pushed her in her pram down the road to home.

"He's gone away for a while, dear," I'd huffed through the pain building in my chest.

A car drove by, blowing a cloud of smoke into the air.

"When's Daddy coming back, Mummy?" she pushed.

It almost killed me to answer her. "I don't know, Tahlia," I'd said through fresh tears.

Honestly, I had no idea when exactly Taylor would come back... if he would come back at all. I had no idea what could possibly be so secretive that he's have to keep it from me of all people.

At home, no one dared mention Taylor. In fact, words were hardly spoken by anyone - they could obviously see that I was consistently on the verge of crying... again.

Dinners were silent, except for the scraping of cutlery, and even Tahlia felt the room's atmosphere and didn't say too much. I hated that this was the same room in which I had threatened Taylor with a kitchen knife. Of course he wouldn't come back after that!

My heart continued to sink further and further into hell as each day, hour, minute and second passed out the window. But, nonetheless, I kept a strong head - Taylor was going to tell me... I hoped.

* * *

Friday night, Sam had insisted that she and Paul bring Bridget to my place. I couldn't deny her when she had all but begged. I figured that it would be a reasonable distraction to the hell that was going on... and I'm sure that Sam did too.

Dallas had gone home to visit Mum, and Becky and Dad were at a town meeting, which meant that Tahlia and I would have the house to ourselves until Sam, Paul and Bridget arrived.

I put on one of Tahlia's favourite DVDs and sat on the couch with her as we watched the children show. Songs were sung and games were played, but none of this interested Tahlia like it used to.

"Mummy, when's Daddy coming back?" she asked, turning to look at me straight on.

It killed me to answer her with the same thing I had the other day. "I don't know sweetie," I whispered, running my hands through her wavy blonde hair.

Her hope dropped and she hung her head down as tears welled up in her bright blue eyes. It killed me to see her like this.

I leaned towards her and lifted her into my lap, pulling her tight against my chest. I fought back urging tears.

"Its okay, Tahlia, I promise," I cooed, rocking back and forth gently to try and soothe her.

I wiped a few tears from her eyes as she spoke through sobs, "I miss him, Mummy. I miss my Daddy."

That was it for my tear control. They splashed down my cheeks roughly like the ocean's waves. And where was my safe harbour?

"I know, Tahlia, I know," I sobbed back to her. "I miss him too," I muttered truthfully.

The doorbell rang, and although I knew it would be Sam and the others, I hoped that it I would pull the door back to reveal someone else.

I lifted myself off the couch with Tahlia still clutching at my chest. I picked up a few tissues and wiped Tahlia's eyes as I walked to the front door.

With tears still streaming down my face, I pulled back the door to reveal Sam and her loving family. As soon as Sam saw my face, her own formed a mask of worry and panic.

"Nas, are you alright?" Sam questioned.

I nodded my head, keeping my mouth in a tight line so I wouldn't show just how I was feeling.

Paul was next to speak, "Are you sure, Nas? Tahlia's crying too..."

I cut him off before he could continue. "Look, I'm fine, guys. Come inside," I said, turning around and walking back into the lounge room.

Eventually, Sam and Paul decided to follow me in, Bridget running around the lounge room, wanting Tahlia to play with her, but Tahlia refused to let go of my jacket when I tried to put her down. Sam pulled Bridget into her grasp, and we began talking as Bridget watched the unfinished DVD.

Tahlia stayed silent and the DVD soon caught her attention. She began to ease herself away from me and towards Bridget as Sam and Paul kept up conversation with me. We mainly spoke about the gossip that was flowing about the parents' club. There were apparent affairs and breakups between various parties.

As the sky became darker and darker, Tahlia and Bridget began to tire. They ended up falling asleep curled up together on one of the armchairs. I truly hoped that they both stayed friends until the end.

I flicked through the channels on television and gave up on finding a worthwhile show to watch and left it on some movie. Little did I know that this was turning into a romantic.

Just as the level of love was becoming too much to bear, I was somewhat saved by the doorbell's ringing. Maybe Dad had forgotten his key.

"I'll be back," I told Paul and Sam who were both cuddled up together.

They nodded together, and I proceeded to walk through the lounge room to the kitchen where the front door was located.

I heaved back the heavy wooden door to reveal he who was not expected.