Chapter 05

CHAPTER 5

Never have I lived through such a tense week. Taylor acted as though I hadn't said anything to him that Sunday afternoon; as though it didn't matter that I'd said what I had. He acted as per usual around Tahlia, Dad, Becky and Dallas; although I could tell they knew things were tense between Taylor and me.

Before the weekend, I had figured that he was planning to tell me this freaking secret, and so I wasn't pushing it too much. After the weekend, on the other hand, I knew that I would have to force it out of him.

I needed to know this goddamn secret; and I needed to marry him. But, I didn't want to marry someone who would keep something this big from me. Surely it must be huge, seeing as he resists in telling me. If it were something minor, I have no doubt in my mind that he would have told me straight away.

Monday morning, we woke at six a.m. as per usual, with Tahlia still asleep between us. Tay got out of bed and headed to the bathroom after giving me a light kiss. I sighed. What was it going to take for him to tell me?

With Tay in the shower, it was my task to wake Tahlia.

She slept so peacefully, with her small pink lips pouted as she dreamed happily. It almost killed me to take her away from that perfect world of hers.

"Tahlia," I whispered, stroking her face.

After a few tries, her eyelids began to flutter open. She let out a huge yawn as she rubbed her sleepy eyes. She looked so beautiful.

"Mummy," she mumbled.

"I'm here, sweetie," I told her softly, meeting her searching hand. "It's time to wake up, Tahlia. You had a big sleep."

She was about to say something in return, but another yawn escaped her lips. I couldn't help but smile. With all the crazy stuff happening, Tahlia made me hold hope within my heart, even when it was long lost.

Eventually, Tahlia was fully awake. Tay was dressed and ready, so we headed downstairs together... silently though.

All through breakfast, it was killing me to hold back the onslaught of questions I wanted to get out of him. I wanted him to tell me without prompting needed. He told me two years ago that I didn't know certain things about him because I'd never asked. Well, now I'm asking, but I'm getting no answer! It was beyond infuriating!

We loaded up the car, and I buckled Tahlia in before climbing into my own seat. I looked sternly out the side window as Tay started up the car and began our journey. This morning though, he had to stop in Bannockburn to fill up the car with petrol.

I watched as he collected his wallet from the console before heading out to pump the petrol into the tank. Tay's action of picking up his wallet made me spot his mobile phone. A mobile phone full of numbers, but one number that could be most helpful in my situation.

I sneakily scrolled through the contacts until I came to the 'S' section. Finally, I came across the contact filed under the name, 'Sean Elliott.' I looked to where Tay was standing, but he was looking at the bowser, calculating the amount of money he'd be paying.

I searched the car for a scrap of paper and a pen. I found an old receipt under my seat and a pen in the glove box. Quickly, I jotted down Sean's mobile number on the back of the receipt, making sure that Tay wasn't looking still. He wasn't.

I shoved the paper into my bag for future reference. I exited the programs on Tay's phone before putting it back where I had got it from. I saw him heading into the building to pay for the fuel, and I only hoped that this phone number could give me some answers.