Chapter 06

CHAPTER 6

(TAYLOR'S POINT OF VIEW)

I drove back to Mum and Dad's Friday afternoon after my classes at university, fighting my tears of guilt the whole way. Every woman I saw, I would hope that Nasettia's face would be there, but of course, it never was. Each pram I saw, I wished held my baby girl, but they never did.

I'd lost my entire family all because of the past in which I was afraid to let go of.

A past that I didn't want to let go of.

Seeing Nas crying the way she was Monday afternoon was still tearing at my heart, making my life full of all the more guilt. Guilt that I shouldn't even be holding; none of it was my fault.

The only guilt that I deserved was keeping this whole mess from the woman I loved.

I fought the urge to turn onto the road that would lead to my beautiful girls, and continued further through town until I reached Mum and Dad's. Courtney's hatchback was there, but Mum and Dad must've been out. I parked my car roughly alongside Courtney's car and headed straight into the garage, just like I had for the past four nights.

I walked through the side door and crossed the space of concrete before collapsing down onto my makeshift bed. Mum had set up a spare mattress out here for me whilst I was at university Tuesday, seeing as I'd spent Monday night curled up on the cold floor. I just couldn't handle facing Mum, Dad and Courtney. I didn't want them to feel pity on me either - this was my mistake... I just didn't know how to fix it.

I refused to sleep in my previous bedroom, knowing that Sean had stepped foot in there. I was sure that I'd vomit the next time I ever saw him. The filth that he had committed still turned my stomach violently.

I would usually have opened up my textbooks and started studying, but I simply couldn't concentrate knowing that my life had been torn apart... again. Instead of studying, I lay atop of the bed covers and slowly cried myself into a better place....

* * *

It was September twenty-ninth, and the day had finally come where I was able to marry the woman whom I loved.

Everything was perfect and the ceremony was about to begin. I straightened my bow tie and fiddled with the hem of my jacket sleeve, nerves creeping up on me.

All the guests stood up as the music began, but I noticed only my family and friends were present - the other half of the white garden chairs were all empty. I shook that aside as Courtney began to walk down the aisle as the maid of honour, but there was no Tahlia beside her. Tahlia should have been walking with her, distributing the rose petals, but she wasn't there.

The music came to a stop, but Nas was nowhere to be seen. Whispers began going around the crowd, and I could hear them all saying that she wasn't coming. My heart sank a million miles into the ground.

Nas wasn't bluffing when she's said she wouldn't marry me until I told her 'the secret.' And now, none of her was here with me on our day.

"Psst," I heard someone spit. I looked around to see that Mum was trying to get my attention.

"What?" I mouthed, all hope in me gone.

"Wake up, Taylor," she answered, taking me beyond confusion.

I gave her a puzzled look.

"Taylor, wake up, sweetie," she repeated.

This time, the disastrous wedding scene became blurred, and I could now feel the chill of the garage atmosphere.