Chapter 12: Mind Reader

'Crap, crap, CRAP!!!' I screamed in my head, 'SHE CAN READ MINDS! How?!'
     "It's simple," she responded calmly. "I was born with it. That's how I knew you needed help and wanted to go home." It was getting even scarier the more she said. "I've done it a lot, but sometimes I just hear the thoughts like a conversation. I haven't told my mom, or anyone else. Not like a wolf can understand, though..."
'You have no idea,' I thought. 'Oh shoot!' Mind reader!'
     She giggled. "I guess wolves are smarter than I thought," she said. "Wait, how does a wolf mind work like a human's? Wouldn't all wolves be able to understand people if they work like yours?"
     I started to panic. I was in danger of being caught. One word could spoil my secret. More like one thought in this case. I was panicking. No wonder she knew what I wanted!
     "It's ok, wolf," Angel said, "I won't read your mind in you don't want me to. But can you at least answer my question on how your head works like a persons?"
     I knew exactly what to think. 'It's complex,' I thought to her, 'I don't know how a human's head works. I guess our brain function didn't pass on to our dog relatives.' She laughed.
     "That would make sense." she said. "I haven't read a wolf's mind before, only dogs, and I can't comprehend a word they think." She giggled again. "I guess wolves are smarter than dogs. Also, do you want me to read your mind? I can block thoughts, but some just come to me when I don't choose them to. It's like someone talking to me. I can block the noise with earbuds, but some words come in."
'I would appreciate if you didn't. I like to keep my thoughts to myself. If I want you to read my mind, I could just bark or something to get your attention.'
     "Perfect!" she said. "I like that idea."
'Thank God,' I thought. She didn't respond to that, so I guessed she started to block the thoughts. I was hoping some thoughts wouldn't reach her. One wrong thought, and I'm screwed. She went downstairs, humming something that I ignored after a bit. I had to get my paw fixed. I hurt it from the flight before I got caught when I crashed, and it got hit again. I was sure it was fractured or something. Then I realized something.
     The trapdoor was still open, letting me in. 'Yes! Time to explore!'