Chapter 9: In Fear and Feared

I was so scared right then. I looked up to see everyone watching me. I turned around to see more people. All of them had a phone out recording me. The guy was slowly backing away. I turned back around and growled. Everyone jumped. The guy went even more pale and froze. He was in a half sitting, half standing position. I didn't care about him now. I cared about everyone knowing my secret, which could potentially put my friends in danger too.
     The people started whispering and looking at the footage. I looked around frantically. I was trapped. I didn't know what to do. I crouched a bit and showed my teeth. Some people laughed. I barked and growled. They stopped. They knew one mistake could kill them, after what they saw with the man. He was gone, probably in the crowd hiding or getting animal control or in a hospital. I hurt him when I slammed him down and I probably bruised him. Maybe he got a concussion and had some scars and bleeding areas. He deserved it.
     I never expected this next part. A little girl, around the age of 9, squeezed through the crowd. She came up to me and yelled, "WOLF!!!" People gasped and I heard a high scream, likely her mother. The girl pointed and her eyes went wide. She had long, light blonde hair and icy blue eyes. She came a bit closer. I didn't want to risk her presence making the crowd react. I stepped back and kept low and teeth showing. She looked surprised and took a step closer. I took a step back. It was the quietest moment of my life. Nobody dared to move but the girl.
     She whispered softly, "Are you ok, wolf?" I understood her. I didn't want to show weakness. I crouched lower and growled a bit. "Don't be scared, it's ok. I don't wanna hurt you..." She stopped when I growled again. "Calm down, I want to help. Are these people bothering you?" She was softly whispering everything, and only I heard it. Everyone else was frozen.
     There was a yell. "ANGEL!" It sounded like her mom. I jumped up and growled. The girl turned around and saw her mom. They two looked completely different. Her mom had dark hair and dark eyes. Angel looked up in fear.
     "How dare you approach a wild animal?!" She yelled. "It could hurt you! Come with me, you're going home and we're gonna have a talk."
     "No!" she yelled. I was surprised. Weren't kids supposed to obey parents? "Leave me alone!" she yelled again. "You're scaring the pretty wolf!"
'Pretty?' I thought, 'She thinks a menacing wolf if pretty? This is weird...'
     "Angel, listen! You need to go home and talk with me about what you've done!"
     "No! This wolf needs help, and you're making it worse!"
     "Angel! Home. Now!"
     " No! YOU need to go home! All of you do! Leave the wolf alone! If it was a person and you did this to them, would you treat them the same way? No! Let it be! It's just a wolf that's scared and wanting to go home!"
     It's like she read my mind. I never would've guessed she would know how I'm feeling. She must've not seen me change. She did come from the back of the crowd, and she was short. It would make sense. She didn't know my secret. She could help me and yet not know what I am.
I wanted to defend her. I barked. She turned and the mother looked fearful and angry. I tilted my head. She smiled. "Wanna go home, wolf?" I barked a yes, but I didn't know what she would take it as. "Ok, let's go then!" She took it as a yes and not a normal get-away-from-me bark.
     "Where's your home?" Angel asked. I didn't want to give away my real home, so I tilted my head. "Do you have a home?" I kept my head tilted. "Ok, then let's go to my home!"
     I couldn't believe she was leading me to her home! I followed her through the crowd, staring anyone down who looked at me, Angel, or anyone talking. The mom stayed behind. I was going to a human's home for the first time. Well, the first time I could remember.
     I completely forgot about the recordings, the whispers, and the man. I smiled a bit and kept walking next to the girl. 'This could work,' I thought. 'This could actually work.'