Chapter 4: The Discovery

I froze. I couldn't do anything at all but not move. The camera saw it, and it looked like someone was watching me from behind it. I had no idea what to do. Right then, an idea popped into my head, destroy it. I didn't care if anyone saw it or not. I just needed it gone before they saw more. I sprinted below the camera and changed into a hawk. I smirked however a hawk can as I planned what to do.
The plan wasn't really a plan, it was more of a just do it thing. I flung myself up on top of the camera, broke the handle and cables, grabbed it with my talons, and flung it to the ground as hard as I could. When it hit the ground, it just dented. I needed more. I transformed into a wolf and fell right on top of it and started scratching and pounding it. It was shattered in seconds. I pushed the pieces aside into the darkness. That was done. Now to escape.
I looked around and changed into a human to see higher up. I had pretty good night vision in any form. I looked for an escape route. Nothing but walls and cages. There was one way out, but it was risky. The door. Of course, the men who trapped me were stupid and left the door unlocked so I could get out. I simply turned the knob and walked out like I belonged there. Luckily, there weren't any uniforms, so I just had to act natural and walk out. It seemed easy enough. I should have seen it coming.
I walked through the maze of hallways, looking for an exit. I just saw doors leading to more rooms, which had animal noises coming out of them. That gave away this was an animal shelter. It seemed more like an animal prison by the room I was put in. I guess that was for wild animals. Thing is, why did they want to trap me? Did they really think I could be a PET?! The three things that upset me most are pointing, being captured or killed, or being taken from my home and friends and being a PET to a human. That human that thinks I'm their pet wouldn't survive long. Hearing the noises made me think of my friends. I hoped they were okay.
As I was walking, all I though of was, 'How do these people know where to go when they need something?' It was a huge maze of doors. It made me feel trapped. I hoped there was a window nearby. There were cracked and faintly glowing light bulbs lighting the hallway very dimly. It was hard to see where I was going. I thought about if the rooms had windows. Only one way to find out, I thought. I walked into one of the rooms, and right there, I saw my worst nightmare.
Dead animal corpses were laying everywhere, and scientists were examining them.