Chapter 1

"Hello," Karina greeted Oscar as he came down the stairs to the Atrium.

"Hey," he said, smiling at her. He holds out his hand.

"Um, what," Karina asked, a bit confused, looking down at his opened hand. Uh, does he want me to hold it..?

"The handshake, you buttface," Oscar laughed, referring to the handshake thing he always did with her. How could she forget? She went through with their handshake, but right at the end, instead of a fist bump, he grabbed her hand tightly. His hand was warm in hers.

"Wha-What are you doing?!" Karina whisper-shouted as if afraid someone might see.

"Go away! No one likes you!," She pulled her hand out of his grasp, her face beginning to turn as red as a tomato. Oscar just chuckled and shook his head as they went to pick up their class, 8B.

You see, there were two classes for each grade. The A's, and the B's. Karina and Oscar were in charge of the B's.

However, as Karina looked through the glass, she saw the strangest thing. Ash, was standing at the garbage can in the corner of the room with her friend Lizbeth, drying her wet sweater. She must have gotten into a water fight with Kevin and Esmir. That wasn't the strange part, though. She was drying it with light that was coming out of her hands.

The light was not bright, but faint. It was tinted yellow, like the sun on a warm Autumn day. Karina's eyes made eye contact with Lizbeth's, making Lizbeth slam her hand down on top of Ash's. She whispered something, and the light faded quickly. Ash looked up to see Karina, and smiled as if nothing happened. Karina frowned.

"What's wrong?" Karina felt Oscar's breath against her neck, and his weight on her shoulder. Was his head on her shoulder again?

"Get off!" Karina swatted him away. "It was nothing. I just think Kevin and Esmir were playing with water again."

"Whatever you say," Oscar said dismissively.