Chapter 36

My eyes flutter open to the morning light streaming through the crack in the curtains. I stretch my arms out across the empty bed. I slowly sit up placing my hands on my still small bump, my thoughts roaming to last nights conversation. The smell of bacon and eggs waft through the small gap in the door. I get out of bed with little difficulty, and walk toward the kitchen, following the lovely smell.

‘Morning wife.’

‘Morning husband,’ I don’t think I’ll ever get use to that, not anytime soon anyway.

‘I’ve been thinking,’ I say sitting down on the bar stool behind Nathan.

‘This early in the morning, after only being awake a few minutes?’

‘Yeah, it’s about the conversation we had last night, something clicked.’

I rest my elbows on the bench, fiddling with my fingers, pondering my emotions.

‘What’s wrong?’ he asks placing the food on plates.

‘You said you would be going on tour for about five months.’

‘That’s not for a little while now.’

‘Yeah but we only have about four months left, till we bring this little one into the world,’ I say placing a hand on my bump.

‘Babe, it will be okay. We will sort it out, we won’t be leaving the Uk.’

He walks around the bench, stands in front of me, his hands resting on my knees. A few tears escape my eyes before I wipe them away.

‘Honey please don’t cry, we will figure this out.’

‘How? It’s not like it can be changed or cancelled or anything.’

I slightly push Nathan out of my way, standing from my seat and walking into the lounge room. I lay down on the couch, closing my eyes when Nathan lifts my legs up and sits down placing them back down on his lap. I rest my hands on the top of my stomach, Nathan’s hands rubbing circles on my stomach smiling down at me, my eyes getting heavy.

I awake to a whispered voice in the next room, from what only feelings like a few minutes of sleep, but seem to have been two hours.

‘Nathan?’ I ask, rubbing my eyes.

I go stand up, my head pounding, the room seems like it’s spinning, a sharp pain going through my lower back and abdomen. I close my eyes, the headache easing just a little, I open my eyes back up to the room no longer spinning. I release a heavy sigh, a try again to stand on my feet. Another sharp pain along my lower back and abdomen stopping me again.

‘Nathan,’ I whimper, holding my stomach as the pain increases.

‘Kiara, what’s wrong? Is everything okay?’ Nathan asks stepping into the room.

‘I don’t know, I’m scared, I don’t know what’s going on.’

Within seconds he is by my side, nearly in front of my, his hands rubbing gently on my stomach, a few tears slide down my cheeks, the pain subsiding.

‘We should go to the hospital just to be sure,’ he says taking my hands and gently helping me to my feet.

We walk slowly out to the rental car, his arm wrapped around my waist holding me up. The ride to the hospital was quiet only the soft hum of the radio in the background. So much for a good and relaxing honeymoon. I don’t take much notice my door opening and Nathan helping me out of the car, my thoughts taking a turn for the worst. Thoughts that something is wrong with the baby runs through my head. I’m placed into a wheelchair, wheeled down the hall, to an empty room.

‘Kiara? Just hope up onto this bed and we will take some tests to see what’s going on,’ the doctor says, walking into the room.

I nod my head, slowly getting out of the wheelchair with the help of Nathan.

‘We will just do an ultrasound for you,’ the nurse says setting up the ultrasound equipment.

‘Okay,’ I reply weakly, tightening my grip on Nathan’s hand.

I lift my shirt; the nurse squirts the blue gel on top, placing the wand on my stomach, moving it around to find the baby on the monitor.

‘So here is your child, everything seems to be fine,’ the nurse says, trailing off towards the end.

‘Is something wrong?’ Nathan asks.

‘I shall be back in a moment, I just need to grab the doctor.’

‘No this can’t be happening. What if something is wrong, Nath?’

‘We will get through this. We always do. Nothing bad will happen, I promise.’

The doctor walks in with the nurse, looking at a chart.

‘Was there any pain or any other kind of discomfort?’

‘Mainly pain in my lower back and abdominal area. Is something wrong?’

‘Kiara, Nathan, it appears that the symptoms you were having are the same to a miscarriage, or known as a stillborn at how far along you are. We were unable to find a heartbeat on your child, we are terribly sorry.’

‘No, no that can’t be.’

‘So what does that mean now?’ Nathan asks, pulling me into a hug, as tears fall down my cheeks.

‘Means, we will have to induce you, and deliver the baby, as you are five months along, that is our only option.’

‘Okay, and how soon will this be?’

‘We would like to do it as soon as possible, so in a few hours if possible.’

And with that the doctor and nurse leave, for Nathan and I to take in the information.