Chapter Twenty-Six -- Is What It Is

"You been on my mind, I been trying to let it go. I been tryna find
somethin' as incredible as you and I, but that's a never. No feeling can compare to you.
You just gotta let me know. Can I hit it again?"
--Jhene Aiko (The Vapors)

Chapter Twenty-Six -- Is What It Is

Erik's POV continued...

"Hell naw, it's not okay," Momma snapped, "you got some nerve bringing yo' ass 'round here like you care about Erik and--"

"Kaila," Pops warned sternly.

Ma rolled her eyes, deeply exhaled, and folded her arms in front of her.

"I do care about my brother," Megan spoke with a slight frown, "that's why I'm here. Daddy told me what happened."

Everybody's head turned toward Pops like clockwork and he threw up his hands. "What? So, I guess that makes me the bad guy, huh?"

Megan stepped up, "Look, I know all of you hate me now--"

I sighed, "Don't nobody hate you, Megan. You can't hate family."

"But you sure can not like their ass," Momma sneered.

Megan looked to her feet, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for everything that I said," she lifted her head, "I was so wrong. I wish I could take everything back, but--"

"Mommy?"

We all looked around Megan to find Chloe standing in the door with a mixture of shock and confusion on her light brown face.

Megan smiled, "Chloe," she breathed happily, reaching for her only daughter.

Chloe took a step back, "What are you doing here?"

There was a obvious look of hurt that hit Megan's face, "I came to talk to you." She touched Chloe's hair tenderly, "I miss you, Loe Loe. I wanna take you back home."

Chloe almost laughed as she took her hair out of her mother's hand. "Loe Loe? Since when did you start calling me that? I'm not staying in that house with you and him."

"That's why I wanted to talk to you," Megan shallowed, "He told me everything that happened, Chloe, and I promise you it will never happen again--"

"Wait, so you know and you're still with him?" Momma asked with her hands on her hip.

Megan turned around, "I forgave him, Kaila," she turned back to Chloe, "and I'm sure if Chloe comes home she can too."

"Megan, what the hell is wrong with you?" Pops frowned.

Chloe shook her head at her mother, "Ma, it was never about him. All I asked you to do was believe me, and you didn't. You promised me you would never put a man above me while the whole time you had your fingers crossed behind your back. Even if you did leave him there was no way I could forget that."

Megan's eyes grew so glossy with tears it looked like her eyes were made of glass. She touched Chloe's arm, "Im so sorry," she whimpered.

"Yeah," Chloe moved her arm away, "so am I, Mom."

As Chloe turned and walked away, Megan covered her mouth with her fingers and let out a low, heart wrenching sob.

Pops went over and put his hand on her shoulder pitifully. He hugged her as she cried in his arms. "I'm sorry," she sobbed.

I shook my head. He's probably the only one in the room that feels sorry for her. Never thought I'd say it, but I don't give a fuck. I'll always love my sister, but just like my niece, I can't even look her the same anymore. She's a fucking fraud, fake as fuck, and a fucking dummy and I'm anti to that shit.

"It's going to be alright, Meg. Just give it some time," Pops babied her while rubbing circles in her back.

I looked up at Momma and she had a look on her face that would've made you think she smelled something as foul as the deceased. "I'm heading out, y'all," she told me and Karly who was still on my lap, "Call me if y'all need anything."

"Wait, what about my door?" I asked with my hands raised.

She shrugged nonchalantly and walked out of the door with Megan and my dad following slowly behind her.

"You okay?" Karly asked, looking at me with nothing but concern in her deep brown eyes, "I know seeing your sister like that wasn't easy."

I shrugged, wrapping my arms tighter around her waist. "It is what it is, baby. Fuck it."

-------------
A / N :

Yes! Updated again.. kept my promise :) and I updated Hard!

Check it out?

Thanks for reading!