Chapter Five -- Two Parts of Music

"I show love, never get the same outta niggas. Guess it's funny how money can make change outta niggas..."
-- Drake

Chapter Five -- Two Parts of Music

Karly's POV

I held Harmony's upper body in my arms, rocking her badly beaten body back and forth like a devastated woman in a movie with her man's dead body in her arms. If it wasn't for the cross necklace I bought her around her neck, I wouldn't even recognized her.

I should've known something was wrong from the moment I seen my momma's apartment door wide open. No matter how many times I tell them to stay in school, my sisters always skip, so trying to avoid Momma at all costs, I came by to check on them.

Harmony was layed out on her twin sized bed butt body naked like the bitch in The Player's Club. I just pray it isn't what I think it is that happened to my baby sister.

Water fell from my eyes, dropping onto the sheet I had wrapped around Harmony's body, as I wished Erik would hurry up and get here.

A magic genie must've heard my thoughts 'cause my phone began to ring on the bed beside me.

"Where you at?" Erik said through the phone.

"I'm in apartment building C... I'm upstairs. Apartment number 23."

"Aight, you good?" he asked, concern lacing his voice.

I nodded as if he could see me. "I'm okay."

Moments later I heard the front door open.

"I'm back here, Erik!" I yelled out, holding Harmony tighter and wondering where's her twin, Melody.

"Damn..." Erik mumbled as he layed eyes on my sister. "Who did this to her?"

I shrugged, feeling the heaviness of my eyes fill with water again, "I don't know. I found her like this."

He came over and took Harmony away from my arms, carrying her bridal style. "Come on," he told me, leaving the room.

*****

I sat in the waiting room with my head leaning on Erik's arm beside me. I've been in and out of sleep for over an hour and I still haven't seen a doctor.

"Babe, what time is it?" I asked.

I watched as Erik checked his phone, I caught a glimpse of the time, but I still let him tell me anyway, "5:23 in the evening."

I sat up and stretched my arms to the ceiling, "Why does it feel like it's so late?"

"'Cause you keep dozing off on me. Damn, am I that boring?"

I giggled, leave it to Erik to make me laugh at a time like this.

"I mean, we was having a full conversation -- next thing I know, you snoring. Got old ladies shaking their head at me and shit."

I laughed louder, turning a few heads in the room. "Shut up, Erik. I do not snore."

"Girl, you was snoring so loud the nurses had came and said you was disturbing the patents -- and they on the other hallway."

I pushed Erik's arm, trying hard to keep the smile off of my face, but failing miserably. "You're such a ass."

Before Erik could respond, a young, black woman in scrubs came into the waiting room asking to see us.

Erik and I stood up, "I'm Karly Crenshaw. Harmony is my sister, is she okay?"

The doctor who introduced herself as Dr. Lloyd nodded her head, "She's going to be fine. She may only be sixteen, but she's a tough cookie."

I let a out a sigh of relief as Erik put his arm around my waist. I thanked God for sparing my sister's life, but from the look on the doctor's face, I can tell she wasn't through.

"Can I talk to you alone, Ms. Crenshaw?" She asked.

I looked up at Erik as he let me go before giving me a head nod of encouragement.

I had a feeling I knew what Dr. Lloyd was going to say, but damn sure didn't want to hear it.

As I followed the doc outside of the room I took a deep breath and braced myself for the blow.

"Now, I don't know the nicest way to say this 'cause it isn't a nice situation so I'm going to give it to you straight. Ms. Crenshaw your sister was gang-raped..."

Everything else the doctor said went in one ear and out of the other. I knew -- I already knew my sister was raped, but hearing it from another person just makes it so much harder to take in.

Harmony is going to be scarred for life and her life is just beginning.

It should've been me instead. I'm much stronger than her, she's might've been fast, but she's still just a child. I would've given anything to trade places with her right now, but since I can't, those lil motherfucka's gotta pay.