Chapter Two -- Broken Promises

"Live for today 'cause twenty-four hours fly by in the sky saying bye-bye..."
-- RavenBryanna

Chapter Two -- Broken Promises

Erik's POV

I kept my eyes on the road, looking in the rear view mirror every other thirty seconds as Karly changed out of her uniform beside me.

"Baby, slow down, I can't even put my pants on because you keep swerving," she said with one leg tangled inside of her jeans.

I did as she asked, but only because we were now more than ten miles away from the prison.

"We fucked up, you know that, right?" I asked her, trying my best to stay in the street's lane. I've never had a rush like that and my adrenaline is still pumping.

"Hell yeah," she agreed, "somebody set us up, Erik. No police was suppose to get hurt."

I shook my head, "None did."

She looked at me with a frown. "What do you mean? The four men that--"

I shook my head again, "Those motherfuckas wasn't the police. They were just like us; in disguise. You watch action movies, right?"

She nodded her head, "Yeah."

"When have you seen the SWAT only have four men?"

She laughed, "Never. It's always like a hundred of those motherfuckers."

I laughed with her, "My point exactly."

"Damn, I didn't even think about that," she admitted.

"They had to be Gumbo's weak-ass men."

She nodded in agreement. "Which means somebody had to tell him we were coming... but who?"

I shrugged as we made our way into a busy freeway, "Your guess is better than mine, baby."

"I'm not trying to guess, I trying to know."

I couldn't help but to smile.

*****

"Police officials are calling it the Mississippi State Prison Massacre. Today, five men were found dead -- shot to death inside of the state's prison , only one who was a actual prisoner--"

Karly offed the TV with the remote in her hand. "Looks like we made breaking news," she said. I couldn't tell if she was proud or ashamed.

"That's some crazy shit," my dad said, "dropping out of the ceiling?"-- he chuckled-- "I wish I had been there."

Momma smacked the back of his head, "Shut up, Ethic. I'm just glad you two made it out alive."

After Karly and I had dropped off the Camry and picked up my car, we came to my parents' house. The Honda, the car Karly drove, was left at the prison.

"'Yeah, me too," I said.

Momma stood up, "Erik, come on. I want to talk to you."

I sighed before turning to Karly, "You good?"

She nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine, babe."

I kissed her cheek before telling her I'll be back.

"I want you out, you hear me? I want that boy to be the last one you murder, Erik," Momma grilled me as soon as I stepped foot outside of the house's back door.

I leaned against the deck, my back facing her. "Getting straight to the point, aren't you?"

She came next to me, "Boy, do you think in playing with you? You and that girl could've died today, do you understand that?"

I turned to face her, "I know, Momma. What did you want me to do? That son-of-a-bitch kidnapped my niece! What? Was I supposed to let that slide?"

She turned to the deck, looking out at the endless of trees that covered the back yard. "I just don't want you to follow in my foot steps. You are my world and if something happened to you..."

I put my arm around her shoulder as she cried, it pains me to see my mother hurting because of something I'm doing, but I will always protect my family. No matter what.

"Nothing's going to happen, Momma," I assured her.

She looked up at me, her nose red and her eyes puffy, "Promise me you won't hurt anyone else."

I looked away, trying to keep my own emotions at bay.

She grabbed my t-shirt, clenching it in her fist. "Please, Erik."

I swallowed the lump in my throat before lying to my mother for the first time in my life.

"I promise."

___________________________________________

A / N :

Sorry, it's so short.

My lame "quote" tho.. lol
Hope you guys liked!