Chapter Twenty-Six

(Ryan's POV)

"Ryan.." Arianna whined. God, she's annoying.

"What?" I asked, annoyance clear in my voice.

"You wanna have some fun?" She asked as she ran a finger down my chest. Horny bitch. I was getting tired of her. She was just a flavor of the week. 

"No." I pushed by her and walked toward my kitchen. Making my way to the fridge, I saw a picture of Heather and I as kids. Why is that still up? I rolled my eyes and opened the glorious holder of many foods. I skimmed through my choiced and decided on a cold piece of pepperoni pizza.

"I'm going home, Ryan. Can you give me a ride?" She asked sweetly, twirling her hair and batting her eyelashes.

"Nope. Got shit to do." She stomped her foot and made her way to my front door. Thank fucking God. Once again, I took action and walked down to the basement. The basement was my own little area, where I could do as I pleased. No one ever came down here. It's where my secrets were kept and where I could be myself.  Walking down the staris, there were many pictures. Some of Heather, some of me, some of both of us when we were close, and one of Jarrod. I missed that guy. We grew up together for the most part. He was a big brother to me. He kept me out of trouble, and kept me in line. He was a great influence, and part of the family. Why did that have to happen to him?

--Flashback--

I was sitting in my room when Jarrod just casually walked on in and sat on the side of my bed. He was seventeen, and I was fourteen. He was my big brother, not biologically, but he's been there for me for a long time considering we are neighbors. 

"How's your night?" He asked.

"Pretty good." I replied. He nodded. I guess it was just a chill kind of night. 

About half-hour later, at five, Heather walked in. She was eleven at the time. Almost twelve. Her eyes lit up when she saw Jarrod.

"Hi Jarrod! Hey Ryan!" She exclaimed. Such a happy little girl. She was great. She came over and sat on my lap while Jarrod rubbed her head.  We all went back to watching TV.

Suddently, Jarrod's phone rang. Without hesitation, he answered.

"Hello?"

"For Ali?"

"I don't know what little girls like."

"Alright, alright. I'll figure it out."

"Love ya too dad." Ali was his step-sister. He rolled his eyes and got off my bed.

"I have to go buy a present for Ali." 

"Can I come?! I know what girls like! Please, please, please, please!" Heather begged. She loved spending time with him when he was around. She still loved me more though.

Jarrod looked at me, and I nodded in approval. What could go wrong? So, with that, she gave me a hug and kiss on the cheek, and walked on out with Jarrod.

----Two Hours Later----

Where the hell could they be? What the fuck?! Where's my little sister? 

The worry filled me as I paced back and forth through my room. Suddenly, the phone rang.

"Hello?!" I answered on the first ring.

"Ryan?" It was Heather. She was crying.

"Heather? What happened?"

"Me and J-J-Jarrod were d-driving. We p-p-popped a t-tire and--and we tried to get help. They b-beat him up Ryan.T-to save me. Th-they wanted t-to h-h-hurt me. He's hurt." She cried harder.

"Why didn't you stop them!!!" I screamed at her. I could hear her wimper more.

"How was I suppoed to? Th-they were bigger than me!" She cried. I hung up and ran to the hospital, where I knew they would be. It was about a twenty minute run.

---

Apon my arrival, Heather tried to run to me and give me a hug. I pushed by her and a nurse led me to Jarrod's room. I walked in and stopped in my tracks. He was beat up bad. I walked to his bed.

"He can talk, but we don't know how much longer he has." said the nurse.

"Jarrod.." I whispered. I took his hand, no homo.

"Dude. Take care of your sister. She's special. I love ya bro. Be good." With that, he closed his eyes. I walked out of his room, and heard the flat beep. He's dead. Jarrod is dead. 

He's dead. And it's all Heather's fault.

---Reality--

A tear rolled down my cheek. I didn't realize he told me to take care of her. I completely forgot about that. All these years, I thought it was her fault he was dead, when it would of been her had he not taken the beating. He saved my little sister. The only sister I'll ever have. How can I be mad at her? I've been a douche to her. 

I had to fix this. But how? She's terrified of me. I beat the shit out of her for Jarrod's sake, when all this time I didn't realize he wanted me to protect her. Where did I go wrong with this?

The drugs.

I started popping a lot of pills. I guess they took over? Either way, it's no excuse for the way I treated her. I needed to make things right with my sister again.

I want to be involved in my neice's life. I want to get to know Skylar and Hazelyne. I want to be a good big brother.

I grabbed my car keys, and headed to her house. 

This was my last chance to he a brother again.