Chapter One

(Skylar's POV)

   "Skylar!" my mother yelled. I looked at the time and it was already six in the morning. I groaned and got out of bed and walked to my closet to pick out my outfit for the day. It was the first day of my junior year and I wanted to make an impression.  I skimmed the choices I had. Of course it was all band shirts and skinny jeans. I loved it, don't get me wrong, but my mother would yell at me. She tried making me into a little preppy slut. That wasn't me. My passions were skating, music, and kicking ass. My mom just didn't get that.

After thinking about her, I chose my outfit. If she didn't like it, oh well. Not my problem.  I chose my bright pink tank top with the zipper on the back and black skinny jeans with my black converse. Yeah, I know. Pink shirt. It really wasn't my color, but as long as it wasn't a light, baby pink, I didn't have much of a problem.

Ater that, I walked over to my bathroom and started doing my hair and make up. I always started out with my make up, because I put my bangs in front of my eyes and it was pointless to put them over my eyes, move them, then put them back. Anyway, I put on some foundation and thick black eyeliner and eyeshadow. Then I straightened my mid length jet black hair and straightened it. I brushed my bangs over my eyes and called it good. 

I was about to walk downstairs and then I realized, I need accessories. Again, very girly, but only if you knew. I ran back to my room and put on my pentagram necklace, which my mother did nto approve of as she was a very hardcore Catholic, and my black fishnet gloves that went up to my elbow. I finished it off with a couple braceletes over the gloves. Why? Because fuck you, that's way.

I ran downstaris, and my mother was standing by the door with a smile on her face. She was always bitchy when she had to wake me up, but other than that, it was fine. She absolutly did not approve of my look at all, but she did learn to accept it. We had a pretty good relationship. My relationship with my father was a lot better, but he lives in North Dakota, and I live in Colorado. Anyway, my mother opened the door for me to let me out. We got into the car and just had casual conversation.

"So, did you hear about the gay rights thing?" she asked. Oh sweet Jesus Teresa. My mother was not one who supported gay marrige. As I said before, she is a hardcore Catholic. She thinks gays, lesbians, even those who are bisexual or even pansexual, are the Devil's minions. 

"Yeah. What about it?" I asked, trying to act as if it didn't bother me.

"I can't belive the governement would give those.. things.. the right to be married." 

"Well mom, they are people too. Love is love, and everyone deserves to be happy and to find someone who makes their life worth living." I knew I shouldn't of said that.

"Sky, you're only sixteen. You wouldn't understand." Just then, we pulled up to the school. I gave my mom a hug, said goodbye, and made my way out of the car. As she drove off, I couldn't help but think about what she said. The way she said homosexuals were "things," not people. 

If only she knew that I, Skylar Belthor, her loving daughter, is a lesbian.