Chapter Five

(Heather's POV)

I didn't pay any attention in school today. I could only think about Skylar. How her black hair was perfect, how she always stood up for herself, how her lips looked so soft...

Dammit Heather! Stop thinking that way! You're straight! Straight as an arrow. Not, bi-sexual, not a lesbian. You like guys! Or do I? Gosh I hate theses feelings. Maybe it's just a phase and it'll pass.

"Heather!" I snapped out of my trance to see the teacher, Mrs. Harvey, was calling me.

"Yeah?" I quietly replied.

"Are you alright?"

"Of course." Lie. It seemed as if she could tell. Just then, the bell rang. Students practically flew out of the room. I stood up and felt a hand on my shoulder as I approached the door.

"Heather, what's going on?" She seemed really concerned. 

"Have a seat Mrs. Harvey." She sat down. Honestly, she was the only teacher in this school I could trust. So mant students have gone to her, and from what I could tell, she's never told anyone anything. 

"What is it?" She asked. I took a deep breath, and explained.

"Okay, well you know me, I can get almost any guy I want. Not that I want any, but you know what I mean. But today, I ran into a girl. She is about the complete opposite from me. When i saw her, and heard her voice, my heart skipped a beat, I got butterflys, I was at a loss for words. We didn't have a conversation, she just sort of took off. I don't know. I've never had these feelings before. I'm straight, I like guys. Why would I feel something so, intense, for a girl?" I looked down, and back up at my teacher. She seemed to have been processing my words.

"Heather, are you sure you are not just trying to convince yourself you are straight?" I thought about it.

"Good question."

"Let me ask you this, sweetie. Is this 'I'm-Straight' thing for you, or your parents?" I opened my mouth to tell her it was just for me, but then I hought about it. My mom is fine with lesbians and gays and such, but my dad was completely homophobic. He would kill me if I was a lesbian. Probably literally.

"Why do you ask that?" I asked.

"I know your dad. He is strongly against that. And I've seen the bruises on you. Those things don't go by me easily. I just didn't know how to bring it up, so I left it be." She sounded sad saying that.

"They aren't from my parents. Let's not talk about that." I didn't lie. The bruises weren't from my mother or father.

"Alright. Would you mind telling me who the girl is?" I hesitated. Skylar wasn't the most prized student.

"Skylar." Her eyes widened in shock.

"Girl Skylar?" She asked. There were only two Skylars' in the school. Skylar D'Silva, a jock who has absolutly nothing better to do than throw partied, get laid and play girls, and the female one. I don't know her last name though. I don't think anyone really does.

"Yes."

"Heather, you do realize she would completely change you, right?" 

"No, I would still be myself."

"Look what she did to Analeise. She was a lot like you before she met Skylar."

"I think I can make my own choices. Thank you for trying to help though." I stood up and walked out. That was the last period of the day, so I casually walked out of school like nothing ever happened and to my car. I stood there looking for Skylar for a few minutes, but then I realized she isn't there. Come to think of it, I haven't seen her all day.  She was known for skipping with the emo's but  on the first day? Jeez.

After awhile of hopelessly looking for her, I got into my car and drove home. 

---------

I pull up and see that my brother is home. Shit. I walk in quietly, hopeing that he wouldn't see or hear me. I hate it when he's home. Mom and Dad wouldn't let him do anything, but they were gone. I didn't know how long they would be gone either. 

I creeped up the stairs in attempt to get to my room, looking over my shoulder every five seconds. I was almost to my room. I took a dead sprint into my room and closed the door, locking it. 

I looked around, hoping he wasn't hiding in here. Thankfully, he wasn't. I walked over to my bed and sat down, pulling out my phone. I dialed my dad.

"Hey sweetheart, what's up?"

"When are you going to be back?" 

"A few days, why? Is something wrong?" he seemed concerned.

"Ryan's home." 

"Just stay in your room, if you need anything, call Lilly. She's the only one who has a key to your room. I  will call her and let her know. Just stay away from Ryan. You know how he is when we aren't there." Lilly was one of the three servents that actually lived here. She's eighteen and her parent's kicked her out a year ago, so here she is. She was the most trusted of the servents, hence the reason she's the one with the key to my room.

"Of course I know how he is when you aren't here! Why the Jesus do you think I called?" I snapped.

"Don't get an attitude with me. I'm just trying to help you."

"I know. I'm sorry Daddy. I'll talk to you later, love you."

"Love you too." With that, the line went dead. I sighed and got onto my computer to check Facebook. Three messages, thirty-two notifications, and two friend requests. I accpeted the friend requests, skimmed through my notifications, checked the messages. One was from my ex, Lane.

Lane: Hi babi, take meh bakk? itz been awhile nd i mizz u! u wer the bezt gf ever,

Me: Lane, no. We broke up for a couple reasons. Must I explain them to you again?!

Lane: it wud help babi. y wnt u take meh bakk? wut did i do?

Me: Well, for one, you obviously have no idea what grammar is. By the way, Would* Baby* Why* Won't* You* Me* Back* What* 'I' is also supposed to be capitalized. Secondly, you cheated on me. Four times. And lastely, you're a prick. That was the end of message number one.

The second one was from some chick at school saying how jealous she is of me and how she wishes she was pretty.

Vanessa: Omg, Heather, you are sooo pretty! Is your hair naturally curly? It's gorgeous! Better than my plain, straight brown hair. And your eyes! So gorgeous! Why can't I be you?! You have the perfect life, perfect look, everything! Jealous!!!

Me: Sweetie, don't be jealous. You're beautiful. Trust me, I wouldn't lie to anyone. You're gorgeous. Also, there's no such thing as 'perfect.' Don't think there is. That's what ruins people. They think they have to be 'perfect' when in reality, if you are just yoursef, life would be fantastic. Trust me :) Well, hopefully that makes her day a bit better. 

The third message was from my cousin.

Corey: Hey Heather, just wanted to let you know that I'm apparently transferring to your school next semester. Moving in with you. Don't know if your parents told you or not, just figured I would. Love ya. Call me later. Corey was cool. He was more of an emo kid, but he had a good heart. I didn't really bother to respond though, because I had no words. So, i scrolled through my news feed, trying to find something that catches my interest. Of course, it was the usual stuff. Girls complaining that their life sucks, they're depressed because they don't have someone to be theirs, pictures of them crying. Can anyone say attention whore? 

As I'm looking through Facebook, I hear a knock at my bedroom door. I knew it wasn't Lilly, because she would have just walked in since she has the key. I didn't move. If I went to go investigate, they could look through the crack at the bottom of the door and see I'm actually here. Shit! 

"Heather!" I heard someone yell. The voice sounded familiar. I knew exactly who it was, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Someone I haven't talked to in awhile, that's for sure. Then, it hit me. It was Arianna.