Chapter 19

Chapter 19

A few things happened when Kieran and I stepped outside the mansion to meet the rest of the pack. One, There was a lot of growling coming for one specific person who was dangerously close to shifting. Two, everyone looked like they were about to attack him with teeth bared and in wolf form. And three, that same specific wolf stood tall, dark, and possessive with my best friend wrapped in his arms. It only took me seconds to realize what was happening. I’d seen this same scene before...with mates.

Kieran stood silently by me with an intense expression on his face. He seemed to be communicating a message to the pack to back off because it was only seconds later they all stood down without hesitation. Felix really provoked them.

Jennifer finally managed to smile at her mate after the surprise wore off that it was Felix who was holding her. With the pack calmed down, he looked at her with so much love the entire pack was able to feel it. And in that moment everyone and everything was at peace. Smiles started forming and spread to those around the loving mates. It was beautiful.

Their love was infinite. And I was happy for them.

My free spirited friend was positively consumed by the presence of Felix no one dared interrupt them. They were inside their own little world for the next few minutes and finally they rejoined us in the real world again, Felix never releasing her once.

“You need to confirm,” Kieran said.

Felix gazed at my mate before he gave him a quick nod and spoke. “Jennifer Burns is my mate and I will claim her by the full moon tomorrow night.”

Every wolf in the pack bowed their heads in respect at their pack member. All mates and matings were widely accepted and respected by all. By bowing their heads it showed Felix exactly that.

When everyone’s heads rose back up, Kieran give his next order. “Shift and prepare to leave. We’re due at Night Shadow pack territory by sundown.”

Everyone knew it didn’t look good for an Alpha to be late to a meeting or gathering of any kind. It showed a weakness and therefore loss of respect among the pack and its wolves. It was something that no good Alpha would ever allow to happen.

As the pack quickly scattered and disappeared into the woods to change back into their human forms Kieran led me to the vehicle prepared for us. Kieran climbed in after me. When the new mates lingered behind staying rooted in their spots it puzzled me. Weren’t they coming with is? Felix is one of the best fighters in the pack.

Felix turned Jennifer around and walked her toward the house, soon disappearing inside.

“You discharged Felix?”

Kieran nodded. “I think it was necessary given the circumstances. He plans to mark and possibly mate your best friend by the next full moon and we won’t be back by then. Seeing as the marking can be incredibly painful for some wolves I thought it would be better if they stayed here.”

“But who will replace him?”

“I linked Chance and Dorian and recruited them when Felix and Jennifer were confirmed mates. They, along with Leland, will be with us the whole time we’re at Night Shadow. Everyone else will scope out their territory and keep an eye on things for us.”

I didn’t miss how curt he was being with me.

“You can talk to me, you know,” I reminded him. “If there’s something’s wrong-”

“Why would something be wrong?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. You just seem different.”

I wanted to ask him if something had changed, but I already knew the answer to that without asking. I wondered if that was what was bothering him. Felix is a good friend and fighter to Kieran. Maybe he felt like we were at a disadvantage now.