Chapter 23

Chapter 23

I was pumped. My body was filled with adrenaline and it was the most alive I’d felt in weeks. My anger was driving me. I knew as soon as my training session was over with Daniel, and my body had time to relax, I’d be exhausted. I’d sleep for days if allowed.

Daniel lowered his body and came at me again. Unlike all the other times, he didn’t knock me on my but again. My body didn’t crash against the ground under all his strength. I dodged him, sending his flying past me and hit the ground in surprise. I may not have strength on my side but I had agility and speed. Those would be my weapons.

Daniel rolled over, his eyes meeting mine since his fall. Instead of being met with anger or annoyance he was smiling. Almost like a sorcerer over his apprentice or a parent over their child. Then he pushed himself up from the ground and dusted himself off.

“You’re doing better than I thought you would.”

I raised my brow to him and crossed my arms. “You didn’t think I had it in me?”

Part of me felt smug that I proved him wrong, while another part of me felt oddly offended. Not that what he thought mattered to me, but he was implying that I was weak. Something I did not want to be. Something I couldn’t afford to be. Not if I wanted to live.

“You’ve surprised me. That’s something to admire in a mate. Not many people can do that. But you…you have since I first learned you were my mate.”

I stared back at him unwilling to show him any emotion. He didn’t deserve that part of me. I could be civil, but that was all. And the only reason for that was so he’d continue training me. I hated when talked about me like I was still his mate though. Like the last couple of months never happened.

“We don’t have as many differences as you think. Actually we’re a lot alike. I know it didn’t seem like it at first, but it true. My dad was influencing me in the beginning. He doesn’t get to do that now,” he continued. “I like that you’re strong and have mind of your own. That’s what makes you different.”

I dropped my arms to my side and bent down to pick my sweater up off the ground.

“Yeah well, different isn’t always good.” I slipped the material over my tank top and turned to face him. “It can be problematic if you’re not careful.”

I was trying to discourage his enthrallment in me, though I doubt it was working. I was his mate in his eyes and nothing I could do or say could change that.

“I should probably get cleaned up,” I said feeling my clothes stick to every inch of my body. I wanted a shower. And to be anywhere else.

I turned my body away from him and took a step back toward the building my cell was in when his voice stopped me.“I think you’re ready. We’ve been training all week and you’ve showed a lot of improvement and skill. I think it’s time to let your wolf prove what she can do.”

My head snapped to him and body soon followed. “You letting me train my wolf?” I had to ask to be absolutely sure.

He smiled at my enthusiasm. “I think it’s time. How about tomorrow?”

“Yes!” I said immediately. “Tomorrow works great.”

He ran his hands through his halo covered disheveled hair and pushed his hands into the pockets of his sweats. In any other world or situation than ours I could easily love him. He was beautiful and at times seemed so angelic. I could be with him and be happy. Maybe even have pups and settle down someday.