Chapter 4

Chapter 4

It was like my mind was in a whirlwind. I was finally here in front of my mate and he knew who I was.

My heart fluttered at the word mate. It felt nice to hear him admit it. Did this mean he accepted it?

His hand gently touched my face while his eyes searched mine. A warm sensation filled my body and tingles were left behind by his touch. Before I knew what I was doing I was leaning into it. I craved more.

The world had now stopped and we were the only ones in it. Nothing mattered besides me and him. I wanted him. No I needed him and I could only hope he felt the same about me.

He silence was deafening, offering no insight to his true feeling for me. He was revealing nothing. His smile was enough to assure me, but when it became suddenly serious I felt doubtful again.  

“You ran from me.” He mumbled sounding a bit hurt and dropping his hand by his side. “Why?”

That brought me out of my trance and all my senses came back to me. I took that moment to step away from him. I can’t let him feel anything for me until he knows everything. He deserves to know what I have done.

At first he had a look of confusion on his face from my actions, but it was only seconds before it turned into anger.

“You’re rejecting me?” He asked.

I flinched at his harsh tone.

“No.” I insisted. “Not exactly.”

“Then what?” He demanded.

He wasn’t using his Alpha tone on me which I was thankful for, but it didn’t make me feel any better either. It didn’t ease the guilt I was feeling over my actions.

I let my eyes wonder back to the ground again as I thought over my ways to explain to him. It would not be easy.

“So it’s true then. She is your mate.” His dad said emotionlessly.

“She is.” Daniel confirmed.

“Then why did you run?” Robert now asked me.

The disappointment still etched across his features unrelenting.

“I have a better question.” My mate said. “Why didn’t you look as surprised to find out I was your mate as I did. In fact you didn’t seem surprised at all.”

“I-I um…” I started, but failed to find the words to continue.

I honestly didn’t know what to say to him. Should I tell him I’ve known for nearly a week now?

“You already knew didn’t you?” He asked “And don’t lie. I’ll know if you are.”

I nodded my head regretfully before looking back up to meet his eyes.  

“For a few days.” I admitted. “I’ve known since the pack meeting.”

I heard a gasp come from my mom and dad at my confession, but didn’t dare look at them. I knew they were not happy with my secret.

“And you still went out to that horrid club with that no good Jennifer?” Mom scolded.

At that Daniel went livid. I don’t think I’d ever seen him so mad in my life. It scared me.

I started to slowly back away from him in case his wolf lost it because right now I wasn’t so sure he had himself under control.

“You went to a club with other men?” He yelled.