Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Mom took the empty plate that sat in front of me and carried it to the sink. She had been cleaning all morning, and she was not about to stop now. I had a feeling she would have taken my plate whether I was done or not.

You’d think she was expecting the president over for dinner with the way she was acting. There was not a part of this house that had been untouched by her. Well apart from my room of course. That was my responsibility.

 She was just washing up the rest of the dishes when dad finally made his appearance.

He had been going nonstop all day running errands for the Alpha and his father. I was starting to get worried about him. He looked so worn. He had to have aged five years since I last saw him. He needed to rest.

“There you are.” Mom smiled walking over to greet him. “Claire and I were just about to send out a search party for you.”

She placed a small kiss on his cheek, so I looked away to give them some privacy. Well that, and to shield my eyes. They were my parents after all. I didn't want to see them become all lovey-dovey in front of my eyes.

“I would have been home sooner if I could, but Alpha Daniel was relentless. He’s still going crazy over that trespasser we had the other day.”

I nearly spit my drink all over the place at his statement. Could he mean who I think he meant? For my sake I hope not. I should have reported him.

“We had a trespasser?” I asked, looking at my father.

He simply nodded. “Yes and Alpha Daniel won’t rest until he is found.”

I nearly gasped but held it back. I didn't want to give anything away.

“You mean he’s still here?”

What have I done?

“I’m afraid so sweetheart. You’ll have to stay inside until we get this resolved. It’s Alpha’s orders.” He replied before taking the seat in front of me.

No. No. No. This is so bad. I’m sure to be punished for this. If anyone finds out….oh goodness what they might do.

“But what about work?” I asked.

If I didn't show up, Charlie would have my head. Even though Rita is back from vacation, she can’t handle the Dinner rush alone. What am I going to do?

“Call in sick I suppose. There is nothing you can do about it.” He sighed.

“Is Alpha still coming over for dinner?” Mom asked going back to her dishes.

If I hadn't been sitting down I was sure to have fallen over at that. How long had this been planned? Why wasn't I told?

I felt alarm and panic rising up in me while mom and dad continued to discuss the arrangements for this evening. I had no idea what I was going to do about his but I needed to figure it out quick.

I could not be here when he arrived.

Mate. We get to see our mate. My wolf howled joyously from within. She was just about ready to jump out of my skin at the mere mention of him.

She couldn't have been happier about this.

I, however, felt very differently about it.

“Claire, you should go upstairs and get cleaned up. You need to be presentable for company.” Mom’s voice broke me of my thoughts. She was staring at me with concern in her eyes.