Chapter 17

Chapter 17

It had been post marking day four and I was starting to grow hopeful that Kaelyn and Clint were wrong about the side effects of it. Yes, there was some longing between us, but nothing that would warrant being locked up over, thankfully. Other than Kieran being more Alpha than human, we were fine and I felt confident it would stay that way.

I woke with a smile remembering that Jennifer was staying with us now and I couldn’t wait to run next door and see her again. We had a lot of time to make up for. We had never been separated as long as we had been this time. It was unsettling and I was overjoyed to have her back.

I took a shower and got dressed all before ten A.M and I was proud. I was doing well if I willingly got out of been before noon. Perhaps it was all the excitement of Jennifer being here. The news of a new pack member joining from Night Shadow had spread like wildfire since yesterday according to Kieran and the pack was eager to meet with her. Jennifer was less enthused though. She was nervous they would like her. After spending the remainder f the morning assuring her that she was worrying her for nothing we prepared to go meet the pack in the conference room next to Kieran’s office. It was the first time I had been there and apparently they often held important meetings there; this being an important one.

I was excited to give her the lay of the land and house today. I desperately wanted my new pack to meet her and accepter her just as easily as I had when we became friends. I knew they wouldn’t disappoint. They were my family now and they most supporting pack I ever had.

“Well, that was…interesting,” Jennifer said as we all poured out from the room. “I’ve never been in a pack meeting like that before. Everything here just seems more…important. You must feel right at home. You’re finally part of a pack. I mean really part of it.”

I smiled. “I am. I’m very happy here.”

“I think I will be too. Except…” She let the word hang for a moment was she decided how to go on.

“Except what?” I asked.

She shrugged taking a look around the large hallway when were traveling through. “I don’t know. It’s like something is missing. I can’t really explain it, but it saddens me.” Her serious expression soon turned playful. “Crazy much?”

I laughed at her. “No, just you.”

It was nice seeing her a little more at ease.

As we walked in silence my mind traveled back to the very professional and spacious conference room when Kieran’s eyes never left mine the entire time. He seemed more intense than usual and it caused a stirring somewhere deep within me. Every time his eyes met mine I wanted to shiver in delight. He was changing me.

“What would you like to see first? The house? The land? Oh, I know! How about the pond? You’ll love it. Just being there will relax you. It’s so peaceful.”

“Yeah. That actually sounds kind of perfect.”

After all she had been through she could use some peace. I still didn’t know how she was holding it together after something so traumatic. She was strong. That was for sure.

“Claire,” a voice called after us. We came to a halt and spun around to see who had spoken and was surprised.

“Yes,” I said slowly with an eyebrow raised.

Dorian came to a stop in front of Jennifer and I, but kept his eyes trained on me. “Kieran wants to see you. He sent me to get you. He’s in the office.”