Chapter 34

Wyatt's POV

Nine days. It's been Nine days since I last saw her. It feels like I'm slowly going insane. I can't eat, I can't think, I can't sleep and Kieran is probably considering finding himself a new Beta. I guess I wouldn't blame him. I haven't been much use to anyone.

I lean over the bar and pick up a bottle of whisky while the bar tender busies herself with another patron. I decide to bypass the glass this time and go straight for the bottle. I take a long gulp.

To any other person it would look like I was wasting my life away here in The Trenches. Stupid name for a bar. I didn't choose it. I see the same faces every time I come in. They don't judge me, they're just as bad.

I pick up on bits and pieces of their conversations. I feel like I'm beginning to know their lives. Brett is here to forget his ex-wife. He tells the bar tender as much every night. She left him, took his kids, and is currently suing him for child support.

Travis is here to pick up women. He's single and he prefers it that way. He doesn't like commitment and neither do the girls he gets involved with.

Alex, he's in a band. He comes here to drink and write lyrics. He doesn't bother anyone. He's the quiet type.

But me, I'm here for a different reason. I'm not trying to forget anyone, or pick anyone up. I come for the alcohol. It helps me sleep. And if I sleep, I don't think about her as much. I don't do it for me. It's for my wolf. My wolf is restless. The alcohol numbs him a little. He relaxes more.

I say he, but he's just another part of me. A part of me that needs Grey. I stop to think of her name. I haven't thought about her name in a while. It's beautiful. I don't know why her parents picked it out for her, but it fits.

It's the calm before the storm. When the sun begins to fade to the background, when the grey rolls in and takes over the sky. It's color is a promise of something more- a warning of the storm to come. That's when the world is at it's quietest. They are all waiting to see what comes of the grey, how bad it will be.

That's the way I think of her. How bad is it going to be? She hates me- thinks I'm insane. She wants nothing to do with me. How hard is she going to make this for me? I never thought a simple human could do this to me.

She's leveled me. A once tall, strong building now in ashes and mortar on the ground. There's nothing left.

I take another drink and lay a fifty on the bar.

Time to call a cab. I need to get home before the buzz wears off. I can't sleep then. I've tried to drink at home, but she haunts me inside those walls. I see her everywhere. She was only there for half a day and the place was already hers. She was in my room. My room. How the hell am I supposed to sleep there now?

I've screwed everything up. I don't know even know how to fix this.

My phone rings. I struggle to pull it from my pocket. It gets caught at the end and falls from my hand onto the hardwood floor. I reach for it, and wince at the half broken screen. It was a shitty phone anyway.

At least the screen still works. "Hello?"

"Kieran is looking for you."

"Hello to you to, darling."

"You're drinking again, aren't' you?" Claire's soft voice floats through the phone.

I laugh, or try to. It ends up coming out as a grunt. "Am I that easy to read?"

"Your words are slurring." I can hear the disappointment in her voice. She sighs. "Okay. I'll just tell him you're out. Do you have a ride home?"

"I'll call a cab."