Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Kieran and I decided to grab some lunch before we went back to Night Shadow Pack and met with Daniel. Kieran hadn’t said anything about it since we left Robert and his pack. I had a feeling it wouldn’t be long though. He still seemed tense and unsettled.

We sat in a round corner booth, in the old diner I used to work in, that could fit most of our pack. The remainder of them took up the table next to us and nearly filled it.

I glanced around my familiar work place and smiled, a since of nostalgia taking over. Although I don’t miss my pack life, I did miss it here. My job wasn’t too bad most of the time. In fact I enjoyed it when a few of my other co-workers stayed late to help close up and we’d switch on the old jukebox and play some of the classic songs it held and clean the place.

I also enjoyed it when Charlie let us eat all the leftover sweets or take them home with us. I always had a sweet tooth and the extra cake and pies spoiled me.

For most wolves, we try our best to eat healthy. With a controlled diet and lots of exercise we are an unstoppable force. I wasn’t the best at eating healthy, but I needed to start. I know I’d feel much better if I did.

My life here seems like a lifetime ago now.

When Andrea brought our food over and placed it on the table she grinned at me. We’d talked briefly when she was taking our orders earlier, but I could tell she was a little intimidated by all the testosterone in the room.

I’m sure she had a lot of questions. I could see them in her eyes. He eyes flashed around the tables at each one of the guys and then she fanned herself in a dramatic way when they weren’t looking. She then pointed at Kieran and gave me huge thumbs up.

I tried very hard not to laugh at her. When she left and disappeared into the back, she appeared at the door seconds later with my other co-worker Celeste. They were both talking and staring at the table.

I suppose they were wondering how I ended up traveling with crowd of hot guys. If I were them I guess I’d be curious too.

“I still have some business to take care of with the other packs,” Kieran said snapping out of my thoughts. “I have to call Clint back and discuss a time that would be best to visit him.”

My eyebrows rose at the news. It was the first I was hearing about it. “We’re visiting him?”

He nodded. “He came to us last time, so I though this time we’d go to him. I thought you might like a change of scenery. It’s nice there. I used to spend a lot of time on his property when he was mentoring me. His land is a lot bigger than mine and I know you like to roam.”

It’s true. I did like roam. I’m sure he remembered after I disappeared into the woods on my second day in Perilous Pack. Everyone was worried. I can still see how worried and upset he had been in my mind.  

“It sounds nice. I would love to visit them,” I smiled. “I’d like to Kaelyn again too.”

“She’s been asking about you. She’ll be pleased to know we’re coming.”

He dug into his food and a comfortable settled between us. Leland sat across from me eyeing Celeste and Andrea as he ate then glanced at me. He motioned his head in their direction and I shook mine. I knew what he was asking. Are they single and do they know about us?

It’s frowned upon for a werewolf to pursue any kind of a relationship with a human. Not forbidden, but the elder werewolves object to it. It puts us at risk of being discovered and drawing attention to ourselves. If a human happens to be our mate then it’s acceptable because the relationship can be predicted. They are forever tied together so the risk is minimal.