Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Time was passing me by whether I was living my life or not. There was a whole world outside these cells and I wasn’t sure I was ever going to see or be a part of it again. Daniel hadn’t spoken to me since the day he told me everything and that was three days ago. I figure he was just giving me time to think about my options. Mate him or die is basically what he told me. But the way I see it, it’s either kill or be killed.

I would never willingly mate him, so the only other option is for him to kill me. Unless I can somehow manage to kill him first.

It had been a total of four days since I had saw Kieran last. I was slowly dying inside without him. Although I couldn’t use our mating link to connect with him, and I couldn’t use my wolf, I could still feel him. That would fade away soon as well.

I wish I knew what he was feeling. What he was thinking, or if he was looking for me. I knew the bond was withering away slowly. Pretty soon his presence would be gone completely.

I needed to get someone to trust me. If I could, I might be able to get away from here. If I could get far enough maybe I could contact Kieran. All hope wasn’t lost.

“You’re excused for a while. I’m taking her with me today,” a familiar voice said. It was one I had grown to loathe so much the past few days.

I watched Daniel step into my room. The lights from the ceiling danced over his golden blonde hair as he walked. He looked brighter. A little more alive today than the last time I saw him.

He sat down next to me on the small couch, our bodies nearly touching. I had to fight the urge to move away from him. The only reason I didn’t was because I didn’t want to make him mad. He needed to trust me.

“I thought you might like to get out of here a while. We can go outside and I can show you around the pack if you like.” His voice and stare was hopeful. “I hope you’ve had time to think about things.”

I ignored his last words. “I would like that,” I said. “If I’m going to be part of this pack I should know a little about it.”

He smiled. “Great. You have shoes in your closet to put on. I’ll be outside the door when you’re ready to go.”

I felt the briefest amount of excitement through my veins when he left and I jumped up to get my shoes. They were a pair of sneakers and I slipped them on as fast as I could.

The idea of spending the day with Daniel didn’t appease me but at least I would get to breathe fresh air again. Baby steps, I had to remind myself. This is your first trust exercise.

Right.

I walked to the door somewhat horridly eager to get out the room that kept me prisoner for what felt like weeks instead of days. Time doesn’t exactly speed by when you can’t do anything except stare at blank white walls. It’s enough to drive anyone insane.

Daniel was waiting for me just like he had promised and took my hand as soon as I was within reaching distance. I wanted to gag the second our skin touched. I didn’t like this. Not one bit. I was not his!

Trust, my brain said again. I hated that constant reminder. I knew what I had to do. I days to plans everything out while in solitary confinement.

I didn’t bother looking in the other cell doors as we passed them. I was afraid of what I would see. That poor tortured man’s face flashed through my mind again and I winched. I didn’t want to end up like him.