Memory Chains

*Karin’s POV*

I walk down this dark hallway to my room that I haven’t used in years. I open the door to see Light reading some books of mine. He turns to me and smirks. “You know already from your father?”

I frown and ignore him. I take the book out of his hand and put it back on the shelf. Ten lonely books formed some dust after putting the book in its place. Light looks at my face and frowns. “You don’t talk as much do you?”

“Huh, I wonder. Because you said you wanted to rule the Shinigami Realm with half breeds.” I walk to my bed and sit down. He sits next to me and gives me a fake smile. “That was a week ago…”

The door opens and Kenta walks in out of breath. He smiles at me, but then frowns at Light. “Why is he here?”

“Go ask dad.” I hug a pillow and sigh.

Light hugs me. “We’re getting married.”

“What?!” Kenta exclaims. I throw a pillow at Light’s face. “Idiot.”

A guard then walks into my room. “We’re ready for the preparations.”

I stared at him blankly. “The wedding is today? That was fast, but first let me get ready.

I turn Light. “Get out.”

Light stands up and hugs me. “Well, let this be a good wedding.”

He leaves the room. Leaving me and Kenta in the room, Kenta gives me a sad look. “Why are you marrying him?”

“Because, dad said he wants Light to marry me.” I put on a necklace. Kenta frowns. “You’re not wearing a dress?”

I shrug. “It’s not a very happy wedding…”

I take out the strawberry rings and gave it to Kenta. “Please take care of these, it hurts looking back.”

Kenta looks at it and takes it. “Sure, I hope there’s some way to stop the wedding.”

I sigh. “Same here.”

*Kenta’s POV*

 I watch as Karin leaves her room and closes the white door. Her room was all white. White pillows, white books but still had different titles, white covers, white curtains, and the walls and floor was white. The only thing that stands out was two rings. I walk over to the rings that were on the bed and tried to hold back my tears.

Karin and L’s wedding rings glittered in a small sunlight given through the room’s light. I bend down and pick it up. Karin, do you really want to forget your heart broken past?

The door behind me slowly opens and I already knew who it was. “What do you want Ryuk?”

He chuckles and flies over to face me. “Aren’t you going to the wedding?”

I shake my head. “No, I don’t want to see another wedding.”

Ryuk smiles more and beckons me with one finger as he flies over to the door. “I want to show you something.”

He leaves the room. I put the rings in my pocket and follow him. What would Ryuk want to show me? I catch up to Ryuk and follow him to parts of the Shinigami Realm where rarely humans turn into shinigamis. I stop in my tracks. “Why are we here?”

Ryuk points at a very long chain. “Look at the memory chain.”

I kneel down and look at it. My eyes went wide when I would see Karin smiling and eating cake. This can’t be who I think it is.

I stand up and walk up towards the owner’s chain. Karin’s blue eyes glistens as she smiles in her black wedding dress in one of the chains.

I stare at the person who was supposed to be asleep in the grave. He stares back at me and bites his thumb. Those same clothes, long white sleeves and baggy jeans.

I gulped and breathed out. “L, you’re alive.”