The Meeting at the Orphanage

*Karin's POV*

I walk downstairs of the creaky stairs and watch the kids play outside. Throwing a plastic plate at each other, using ropes to jump over with, and kids swimming half naked in that small ocean. I really don't understand humans and their play things. I opened the door that leads to the front door room and see a black metal like thing moving towards the orphanage. Mr. Hugui was next to me getting ready for the people in that thing. I point at the metal moving thing. "What's that?"

Mr. Hugui eyebrow went up. "You never heard of a car?"

I pretend to be sad. "All my life I have been caged in a box cell."

Mr. Hugui looked sad. "You’ve been kidnapped since you were little?"

I nodded. "Yes, that’s why I don't know many things around here.”

“Well, we will teach you all the things you need to know in life.” said Mr. Hugui.

 I smiled. “Thanks, for helping me since I got here.”

 Mr. Hugui chuckled. “What did you expect from an Orphanage?”

 I laughed. There wasn’t someone who’s talkative besides Ryuk in the Shinigami Realm. My feelings feel more open in this human world. The black car stopped at the front doors. A boy with white curly hair, holding a metal box with a face, came out of the left side of the car. Another boy with a long blonde bowl cut hair was holding a brown rectangle and eating it came out the other side.

 I walked over to them and asked. “What is that metal box and why are you eating dry mud?”

 The blonde dropped the brown rectangle from his mouth while he was laughing. It hit the ground. I tried to pick it up, but Mr. Hugui told be it was bad to eat. He then picks it up and throws it away. Mello takes out another of those brown things from his pocket.

 Mr. Hugui pointed out the white hair boy. “Miss Karin, this is Near. The toy he is holding is a robot.” I wonder if it’s the same Near in Ryuk’s story.

Mr. Hugui looked at the blonde. “The other, is Mello. Mello give Miss Karin a piece of that chocolate.”

 “But, it’s the last chocolate bar.” Mello wined. He acts like a child, but he’s about four inches higher than me. Near on the other hand, is a couple inches shorter than me. Mello gave a piece of the chocolate to me. The chocolate melted in my mouth. It’s sweet.

 Mello looks at Mr. Hugui. “So, when did Karin get kidnapped?”

 Mr. Hugui then looked at me. I try to ignore the three stares at me.

 “Since when did you become a detective, Mello?” a familiar voice came from the car. A voice that I saved from the brink of death change. A black messy hair popped out of Mello’s side. Then pale hands with long white sleeves. The hunched figure with baggy jeans came around the car and stands next to Near. In front of me is the human that I saved. L.

 Mr. Hugui looked shocked. “You’re alive?!”

 L made this blank face. “Turns out to be I was saved by that case that I failed to solve.”

 L looks at me, chewing his thumb. “Hello, Miss Karin. Welcome to Watari Orphanage.”

 He walks over to me. “Looks like I have to solve your case, Karin.”

 L bends down lower to reach his mouth next to my ear. “Don’t show any reactions after what I say.”

 I nodded a yes. He looks left. Then right and then back at staring at me like the others.

 “You’re a shinigami.”