Surprise Strawberries

*Karin’s POV*

I sat down in the car and L sat next to me by bending down with his feet on the car seat. I smile, he never changes. L chews on his thumb and looks forward. I follow his gaze. A restaurant that looked so fancy that their was a line of people wearing fancy clothes waiting in line. The restaurant looked like a big hotel. I smiled weirdly. “This is it?”

“Yes, something wrong, Karin.” L says and puts on a blonde wig and sun glasses. Lastly he puts on skin color on his hands, face, and neck.

I looked at him. “What are you doing?”

 “I can’t risk of being exposed to publicity.” He says while fixing his tie.

“I understand.” I said with a smile.

L walks out of the car and puts out his hand. “Shall we?”

I put my hand out and he holds it. “Yes, we shall.”

When we started to walk over to the line, I notice that L’s back was a little straighter than usual. This made me worried. I hooked my arm around his and whispered in his ear. “L, you’re scaring me. Why are you making your back straight?”

We moved up more. “To act a little more normal around these people.” L said.

“Well, when do you get back to your normal self?” I asked.

“Don’t worry I have one of the restaurant’s floor booked for the two of us.” L said with a calm face. “I checked if the room was bugged, but it isn’t. Then I can get out of this disguise.”

We reached the waiter with a book in his hand. He eyed me weirdly. I hid myself behind L, but he grabbed my hand to stop me.

The waiter smiled at L. “What can I do for you Mister?”

“Mr. Vile. I made a reservation for two.” L said.

“What?! You’re THE Mr. Vile?!”

“Yes, now please show us our floor.”

The waiter bowed and led us to the elevator. “Floor 7 is your floor.”

“Thanks.” L said and closed the elevator.

I sighed. “What is so interesting about Mr. Vile?”

“I made this online service for people who love solving random cases. Later on I became an internet billionaire.”

The elevator ding and the doors opened. I thought my eyes fooled me, but I rubbed them again to see a ball room dancing floor and a round dinner table with a red velvet cloth over it in the middle.

L takes off his sun glasses and wig. He throws it into the trash bin and then holds my hand. Leading me to the table. L pulls out the chair and I sat down. “Well, what’s for lunch?” I said scooting my chair in.

“I lied. You slept for a day.” L said crouching in his sitting position on the chair across me. “Kenta also called that he was in the same situation as you.”

“You mean he met Kira to?!” I gasped.

“No. He just got injured just like you. Since you two are linked to make Kenta become a full breed shinigami.” L loosens his tie and sleeve buttons.

“Is he alright?” I asked.

“Yes, he’s at Near’s villa being taken care of.” L said then he looks to the elevator. “Good timing. Mr. Hugui.”

The elevator closed the doors and Mr. Hugui pushed a cart over to our table. “Here’s your dinner.”

“Thank you Mr. Hugui. Also good job at closing the windows with the curtains before we came.” L said as he pointed at the curtains.

Mr. Hugui bowed. “I’ll be leaving now.”

When he left, I looked down at the table and see two glass cups with three ice cream scoops of strawberry ice cream with chocolate pocky sticks in it.

I smiled widely. “Desert for dinner!”

“I eat sweets every meal.” L said and takes a bite of his pocky. He lifts his glass. “To us.”

“To us.” I clicked my glass at L’s glass.

When I finished my ice cream and pocky, there was a white box at the bottom of the glass cup. “What’s this?”

L picks it up and then opens it. A ring was in there. The ring was gold that has a diamond shaped as a strawberry with gold dots on it and the strawberry stem leaf was also gold. L gets up and holds the ring with two fingers. “Karin, will you marry me?”

I covered my mouth and tears of joy fell from my eyes. “Yes.”

I jump into his arms, hugging his neck. I let go and L put the ring on my left hand on the ring finger. I smiled at it. “It’s beautiful.” I said as I put out my hand.

I look at L. “Don’t you have one?’

“Yes. It’s right here.” He says and takes out a ring from his pocket. The ring was the same but the strawberry was ruby.

“Wait, so do you have a last name?” I asked.

“No.” L wraps his arms around my waist. “Let’s just have a secret wedding with no last name.”

“That sounds great!” I said and kissed his cheek.

“Would you like some music?”

We look at the elevator entrance. Mr. Hugui stands there smiling. L nods his head. “Moonlight Sonata.”

Mr. Hugui walks over at the end of the ballroom were the piano is. He sits down and plays this soft song.

L holds my right hand and places the other on his shoulder. He puts his hand on my waist. I blush a little.

“Wait, I don’t know how to dance.” I said.

“I’ll lead and you follow.” L said and twirls me around. I followed the motion of the song and L’s foot steps. Gently dreaming that this might be a dream, I close my eyes when L dips me. He catches me with his arm on my waist and then brings me back up. I open my eyes and see his face an inch away from mine. Then as I hear the last note on the piano been played, we kissed. I lean on L’s chest. “That was a beautiful song.”

L kisses my lips again. “Then it’s our song.”