Chapter 16: "You Always Remember"

This coffee job has been going pretty well.

I mean, waking up with free caffeine every day is probably the only thing I like about it.

But on the bright side, the manager isn't as....

Pushy

As he was before. He's opened up to me even, and we're decent friends.

"Hey. Lock up before you return to your hotel"

Almost decent friends

I reluctantly glanced at the clock, 6 P.M. No one goes to discount Starbucks at night so we closed around 5:30. I finished cleaning the dishes and opened the main office to grab the keys.

"It's your last day, right? You're going back on the cruise."

Oliver asked, waiting outside for me. I nodded, tossing him the key and pulling on the door handle so I knew I did it right.

"Yep. I invited my boyfriend to come with me. He and his friends are going back too."
"Sounds like fun. Maybe..."

He trailed off for a bit, scratching his head and waving at me.

"Nevermind. I gotta get home before my-er friend, yea that, yells at me. We're leaving in a few weeks too. This is my uncle's shop."
"Nice to take over management. Maybe I'll see you next summer."
"Maybe."

Oliver sighed, reaching his hand out for me to shake. I took it, offering a smile before turning my back to him.

"Have fun with your friend!"
"I will."

The sun started to dim over the horizon, Vacation was almost over.

I can't believe that when I first got off that airplane, I wanted to leave.

Now I couldn't think of leaving.

So much has happened, I can barely think of what was to come afterwards.

I got back together with Zane, went to the water park, babysat with Aph, experienced traumatizing haunted houses, carnivals, started working at a coffee shop, and well,

I guess you read the story, right?

I didn't want this happiness to end, it was all too good for me.

As I started my walk back to the Dolphin District, I traced my finger over the bench and walls that surrounded the plaza. The sun had lost its amber glow, trailing behind the mountains. I softly grinned towards the deep blue ocean, hearing the waves, wanting to feel them in my fingertips one last time before I went.

I tossed my schedule to the side, making my way down the pier and into the beach area. It had mostly cleared up, and I just wanted one last chance to relax.

I kicked off my shoes (if you're wearing socks than those are off too), sitting in the splash zone. I held onto the wooden dock for support as the water crashed against it.

My phone rang, breaking the silence.

"Y/n, where are you? We're supposed to be packing."

It was Zane. I mumbled a few swears before answering back.

"I'm just saying goodbye to the ocean. I'll be there soon."
"Hurry up. You don't have much, but I'm going to have to get back to my place and pack myself."
"Alright Sonic, cool it. I'll be there."

I sighed, dropping the call and lying down on the dock. The moon was high in the sky and shining brightly.

Guess it was time to leave.