Chapter 8: "Worst Fear"

Your POV

"Why is there a haunted house in the middle of an island paradise?"

Zane asked, clearly irritated. He bit his cheeks silently. I gulped lightly at his expression, knowing how terribly I get scared from those lousy cash houses.

He wasn't a big fan of them himself, but Lucinda had already bought us tickets. Aph and Aaron were already inside. Katelyn made it a competition. The last one out of the house had to buy the entire group lunch.

Good thing I'm a fast sprinter.

Zane reluctantly agreed to come with me, pulling on his usual sweatshirt-

"It's air conditioned."

Onyx jeans with checkered shoes and matching belt. I resorted to my go-to outfit, a light (color) sweater with (color) pants. My hair was (untied, tied, you decide m8 it's your hair)

Zane laced his fingers in mine, walking inside the house with a darkened look in his eye. I could feel the tension in his grasp.

"You don't have to come along you know"

I tried to reason with him, noticing his changing expressions. A sigh escaped the boys mouth.

"Yes, I know. But I won't let you just waltz into a place with (worst fear)"
"At least I know you're here for me."

I laugh, waiting for the doors to close before we started walking inside.

The house had 3 floors. Each one was a designated area. Carnival, coal mine, and forest. All had different scary people and insects and shit from those places. Paranoia set in as I walked into the carnival section.

(If carnival/clowns are your worst fear good luck m8)

I held onto Zane's arm, attempting to shield myself from anything jumping at my face. My eyes squeezed shut when I heard noises of any sort. Zane ruffled my hair, making sure it was okay before whispering to me to open my eyes.

When I opened them, I saw a gigantic wooden carousel moving slowly, rust covered it entirely, the ride had unbearable squeaking noises. The horses had blank unpainted eyes that screamed "let me go".

There was a set path to follow, Zane rarely going beyond it. That's how you get scared, being curious. He seemed deeply focused on getting me out of this fiasco alive and my brain still intact.

"Keep close to me."

He muttered, pressing my shoulder blades with his palm to calm me down. My eyes darted from the mirrors palace we headed inside, to the outside exterior of the terrifying carnival. It was dimly lit. Broken rides and crashed roller coasters. The people behind us screaming at everything didn't make this easy either.

At least I could hear Lucinda behind us getting her karma. She started racing away from the carousel after she poked it, it releasing a spine tingling screech.

She blew past both of us and instantly sprinted out of the hall of mirrors once bashing into one of the paid scarers. He jumped back into the shadows awaiting the next victim.

My breathing slowed as we moved into the tight space. I always hated close quarters. Zane pulled his arm around my waist, tugging me next to him so we wouldn't lose track of each other.

I felt something poke me.

My nerves shot up, pulling Zane's shirt rather harshly and muttering in his ear.