Chapter 13: "Surprise!"

The sun was shining. The sky had a perfect cyan hue. Everything seemed quiet and peaceful...

Except me, running around at the speed of sound, trying to get everything ready before Zane came over and kicked me in the butt.

Long story short, Zane's birthday is today.

I had the crazy idea of having a secret party. Aphmau and her friends, who currently stayed at the island, planned it with me. While they got everything ready, I was supposed to distract Zane in every way possible, to keep it a surprise.

But, as I should know by now

The only surprise in store for me is the fact that my life always gets worse.

(Maybe it's not a surprise anymore)

I was the one who had to come up with a special plan to keep Zane at bay, while still maintaining the guise of not knowing at all that it was his birthday.

I mean, everyone on the TV shows do it.

It shouldn't be that hard...

I texted Zane to come over, he asked why. And in my panic..

I lied and said that I accidentally threw his prized pony toy into the ocean.

Way to fucking go Me.

I sat on my kitchen counter, fumbling with the horse until Zane basically sprinted into my front door. A loud bang followed, and I realized I locked it.

"Zane?"

I asked, jumping off the granite top and opening my door. I noticed he was on the floor, clutching his head in agony.

"FUCKING GOD WHY DID YOU LOCK IT?!"
"Even if I unlocked it, hitting the door with your entire body wouldn't make it move. Maybe it would break, but you'd get splinters and-"

I pondered for a minute before Zane covered my mouth, shaking his head.

"Don't elaborate. I don't need this today. Now, why exactly did you throw my limited edition Pinky Cake Figure into the ocean?"
"I didn't. I just needed you here quickly."

I stuck my tongue out, holding the toy up and giggling slightly.

"You absolute ding dong! I was worried about this thing!"

He shouted, snatching the horse and stuffing it in his pocket.

"Remind me to never trust you with anything."
"Awwww come on Zane. I'm not that bad."
"You almost gave me a heart attack."
"Over a figurine?"
"You would do the same if I did that to one of your Panic! CDs."
"You wouldn't DARE"

I was offended, punching his shoulder lightly before bursting into giggles.

"I would dare, after the absolute terrible day I've been having."
"What's wrong sweetie?"

I asked, cocking my head to the side in confusion.

"What's with the nick- you know what never mind."

He jumped on the couch, sitting upside down for a minute before telling me about his horrible morning.

"First, Aphmau kicked me out of the house to find some sort of stupid chips at the store, which don't exist by the way."
"What's the brand called?"
"Stupid Excuse 4 Chips?"
"They have those in aisle 8."
"WHAT"