Chapter 11: "Cake Wars"

Your POV

"Dude I know I was joking about it before, but we should get engaged."

I shouted, jumping on top of Zane from behind. This ended in him smacking head first into the couch and me sitting on his back while he muffled his swearing in the cushions.

"Bad Zane, this is a good Christian house."
"This isn't even your house."
He picked himself up, pulling my legs around his waist to carry me around before sitting me on a chair.

"Now, why are we getting engaged?"

He finally asked, rubbing his eye and sighing in deep concern. My eyes sparkled, showing him a flyer I found in the store the other day

"Couples that are either engaged or on their honeymoon get a special cake ceremony tomorrow in honor of their love! We have to go!"
"Y/n, there are many things wrong with this plan."
"Zane. There's cake there."
"Y/n"

He chuckled, scratching his head and mumbling a few things.

"Alright, what's your idea?"
"Okay!! So we get fake rings from the prize machine at the shop arcade, go to the engagement party and steal cake to take home with us!"
"Uhm.. I'm pretty sure we have to show legal marriage papers before we even consider going to the party."
"Way ahead of you Muffin."

I pulled out a huge stack of papers, all with crazy signatures from various fake people I created in my head.

"We've been engaged for months according to these papers. Our parents have scheduled the wedding for next year so we have more time to get to know eachother before hand. We also-"
"Why is this thought out so carefully?!"

He stared in disbelief at the amount of trees killed making this huge amount of paper. Each sheet was detailed with writings, regards, and several cake recommendations I had accidentally printed out.

"All of this for cake?! I thought I was insane."

A smile crept on his lips, I could see it from under his mask.

"Then again, you always seem to surprise me with the littlest things. This shouldn't be a shock."
"Will you do it?"
"Do I have a choice?"
"No."
"Then yes."

~~~~~~~~~~~

We spent hours at the arcade, finally winning the stupid two rings from the prize machine and deciding which one suits the other.

"That one has a huge fake gem in the middle, so it's yours."
"No way Zane, you wear that. I like the simple one."
"Simple? Like the complete opposite of this plan you've concocted?"
"Fuck you."
"You wish."

We both laughed. I decided to keep the one with the obvious gem in the center for myself, Zane got his plain silver ring.

"Remember when you bought me that promise ring?"

I recalled, staring at the ground for a while before returning my gaze to him.

"From Macy's when we were in freshman year? Gods that was a while ago."
"Yep. Time flies."

Zane held my hand tightly in his.

"Does it still fit?"
"No, I left it at home. It's too small now."

Sad words, but it was a memory I kept forever.

"I'll buy you another one. Maybe they have a Macy's somewhere on this island."
"Doubtful, but maybe."
"They've got a bath and body works, any things possible."

~~~~~~~~~~~

We turned in all the papers, dressing up in somewhat formal attire that we bought at a discount boutique on the island.

I was wearing a (c) (dress, tuxedo, idk man you do you) with a matching hair accessory.

Zane wore a stunning black suit I picked out after major debate.

"Hey get this one!"
"No it's too stuffy."
"So are you! Now try it on!"

When he first had it on he looked at me reluctantly.

"I look like an idiot."
"What's new?"
"Not funny."
"You look like a princess."
"A princess wears a suit?"
"Good point."

But looking at him now?

I guess he's my prince.

He escorted me to the hall, making sure we dodged all of our friends and acquaintances so they don't tell anyone or ask us what we're doing.

I don't think "staging a cake heist" is a good answer for any situation.

We arrived on time, bowing to the waiter and staring at the amount of sweet calories before us.

"So which one do you want to try first?"

I asked him, unable to remove my eyes from the beautiful table full of cakes almost as tall as me.

"You're the one who wanted to come here. Chose a cake and let's go."

We settled on a (flavor) cake with mountains of frosting and cute flower pattern designs. It looked too good to eat.

Too bad we did.

I stole a few pieces, placing them in a plastic container and storing them in my purse before the announcer walked on the stage and began blabbing about romance and the new generation of children and all of that.

I was focused on how many plastic Tupperware containers I needed in order to steal a slice of every cake.

There were at least 12.

Zane and I made out like kings, escaping the area before the annual speeches about love started and sprinting back to the house with the cakes in hold.

We high fived, storing it all in the fridge before exiting our terribly warm clothing and into our pajamas. We picked out a couple pieces and ate them, occasionally fangirling over the taste.

"Was that really necessary?"

Zane asked me, tugging at his collar and washing gel from his hair, which had been previously held back.

"Wedding cake is the best cake."
"We can buy it at the store."
"They had so many though!!"
"You're a child."

He ran his fingers through my hair before planting a small kiss on my lips, pressing his forehead against mine.

"I'm so lucky."

He whispered. I giggled.

"Why are you lucky?"
"I got you."
"Am I some big prize?"
"The biggest prize."

He lifted me off the ground, spinning around a bit and holding me in the air.

"Put me down!"

I complained, not liking my distance from the marble floor. He smirked, a small snicker followed.

"Don't you like being taller?"
"I hate you."

Zane sat me on the counter in the middle of the kitchen, kissing my forehead and heading upstairs.

"If you need me, I'll be in your room watching tv."

When he left the first floor, I lied back on the counter and blushed into my hands, covering my face and squealing a bit.

I guess becoming partners in crime helps being partners in time.

---------

Admin time!!

This was my favorite chapter to write in a long time. I love otp imagines.

Leave some in the comments and they may get featured in a chapter!

Thanks for reading :)