Chapter Six <3 District 11

Peeta and I stare out of the window at District 11. We're in the fresh, open air, in the retractable seats so that you're riding outside. Everything is huge, and open. Large, green fields with cattle. The train slows and heavy, metal gate appears above us, with thick, silver spirals lining the top. There are round, metal plates on the base, keeping the residents of the district inside at all costs. No digging under those. No hunting. Above the gate, I see watch towers, heavily guarded by armed Peacekeepers, out of place amongst the fresh daises and green grass.

" Well, it's certainly different," Peeta sighs.

Rue did tell me that the rules here were more harsh, but I'd had something as measly as a curfew in mind. Nothing anywhere near as serious as this.

There are men, woman, and children, tortured under the skin sizzling heat of the sun, planting the crops. They stand straight, watching our train roll by. There are orchards in the distance. Is that were Rue worked? Before her life was so cruelly snatched away from the Capitol. There are no people in the little shacks, which make the Seams houses seem upscale.

The land continues for miles and miles. Peeta's arm stays wrapped around my waist the entire time. " How big District 11?" He asks. I shake my head, wondering the same question. If District 11 is this large, then the kids at the Reaping each year cannot be all of them. What do they do? More than one Reaping? Do they pick the names before hand and make sure the reaped child is in the crowd? It's sick.

We go on staring at the vast, clear setting till Effie knocks on door, asking us to dress. Peeta and I give each other a quick peck on the lips and break up to our own rooms. Once in my room, my prep team braid my hair intricately. I can't believe the amount of makeup they manage to fit on my face. Layers and layers of foundation, strong contour, harsh blusher. Pale orange eyes, just the colour Peeta likes. A peachy lip gloss. Cinna helps me dress in a sunset orange frock with autumn leaves on it. I wonder if they overheard our conversation, dressed me in orange and him in green.

Effie takes me to a room and brings Peeta after. He is wearing green. Mental note; try not to talk about personal things. Ever.

Effie goes through the days programme for the thousandth time. In the majority of the Districts, the victors ride through the city, whilst the residents cheer. But in 11 - whether it's because there's not much of a city to begin with or maybe because the orchards need as many people as possible - we are confined to the square for our public appearance. It takes place in front of a huge marble building, their Justice Building.

Our entire public performance, is going to go on on a structure Effie calls the veranda. Peeta and I will be introduced and the Mayor will give a speech. And then, of course never letting go of each other, we will respond by reading some thank-you cards given to us by the Capitol. If a victor has any connections or alliances among the dead tributes it is known as socially acceptable to add a few comments of their own as well. I tried to think of something to say about Rue and Thresh at home countless times, but I'd end up in the woods crying, accomplishing nothing. So Peeta's going to talk for both of us. He's good with his words. I'm not. Afterwards, we are to be presented with a plaque then served a dinner in the Justice Building, which is entirely unfair since the people working hard outside may go to sleep starving tonight.

We pull into he station and Cinna takes off my orange headband, putting a gold one in place instead. Then, of course, he pins on the mockingjay. At the station, a squad of eight Peacekeepers wait for us. They march us to the Justice Building and Effie grunts, " Honestly, you'd think we are all criminals,"

Nope, not you, Effie. Just me. Just me, who's supposed to be dead.

We're hurried into the Justice Building, Effie squawking behind us about how we're three minutes late.. I role my eyes. " Attitude," she says. We dash to the front opening and I hear the anthem begin. Someone clips a microphone on my and Peeta wraps his arm round my waist.