Chapter Seventeen <3 Quarter Quell

I wake up and see Peeta's sleeping from. I smile, because he looks so peaceful. I'm not about to wake him up, so I just throw on my jeans, and one of my new maternity shirts. Effie brought it for me, which I was thankful for, since it means I don't have to wear Peeta's shirts any more. It's just a bigger, padded version of my green shirts.

I head to my house, were my mother and Prim are eating. I grab an apple and munch on it contently, talking to Prim about my dresses. I ask her about talking to Gale, but she just lets it slide and changes the subject. I head out my house, in hopes of finding confidant. I need to talk to someone about the events of the last few days, preferably someone who I trust.

Peeta isn't home. He's probably gone to the bakery, so I walk the few yards to Haymitch's. He's not flat out drunk, but I'm considering letting him go to

bed, when he suggests a walk to town.

We walk into town, and I look down the entire way. I don't like people staring at my bump, like I'm an alien or something. We come to a stop here.

" So, d'you think it still won't work here?" I ask simply. He knows I'm talking about the rebellion.

" No," he says. " The other districts, 7, 8 and 11, they're huge. Here, it's all of us or nothing."

" But," I say. " Someday, right?" I'm persistent, I know, but I really want this to work.

" Maybe," he says.

" What'll they do? To the districts that're rebelling?" I question.

" Well, you know what they did to the others. I think if things got outta harm they'd have no problem killing off another district. . . Oh, yeah, District 13's not gone." He says, with a high hint of sarcasm. He doesn't believe my little story about 13.

" So," I say. " You really do think it's destroyed, do you?"

" Um, yeah," he smiles.

I sigh. " I know it's impossible, I was just hoping." I say.

" Yep, cause you're desperate," he states.

I glare, but he's right.

I run home, and open the door. Peeta's head cracks up. His eyes are red and puffy and he gets up and stares at me.

" What?" I ask, confused.

" What!?" He shouts. " 'What' is all you have to say for yourself after I wakes up and almost kill myself worrying about you!?"

" Sorry," I mumble.

" You should be!" He roars.

Then the strangest thing happens, I'm crying. At first it's a little, then it's a lot. Peeta catches me in his arms and pulls me close, and I sob and say sorry over and over again into his chest.

I hate being pregnant.

Peeta and I are surprised when we Caesar shows up at out home, along with Cinna and my prep team. They're here to do a short interview, to go along with the photos of my wedding gowns.

I forget to cover up my bump, but thankfully they're all too excited to notice. I'm worried about what Cinna'll think, since he'll most likely see.

Cinna takes me too my room, and asks me to undress. He stares at my belly. " Katniss. . ." He whispers.

" Uh," I say. " Yeah." I'm lost for words. I don't know how to explain.

He looks mad.

But then he smiles widely, and puts my belly softly. " You two are having a baby," he says happily. I nod.

" But don't tell-" I say, but he speaks up.

" I won't," he says.

Cinna dresses me in a beautiful, flowing, sea blue gown. It flows around my body, keeping my belly hidden thankfully. He puts my pin on, and wraps a gold bracelet on my thin wrist.

My hair is in a Dutch braid, and tied up. He's done my makeup very natural, apart from the eyes. Those are blue, very, very beautiful.

Worst of all though, Caesar has demanded I wear my victory crown.

After almost no time at all, it's interview time. We sit down on our sofa and Caesar sits across from us, Cinna next to him.

He introduces us to the cameras, and then asks, " Do you two have a set date for the big day?"

Peeta glances at me. " No, actually, we haven't," he says.

" Do you have any idea on who'll be on the guest list?" Caesar asks.

" Well," Peeta says. " My family, Katniss' family, Haymitch, Effie, the citizens of the Capitol."

" And you of course, Caesar!" I say enthusiastically. He erupts into laughter and cuts to the dresses, ending our nerve wracking interview.

The crowd goes crazy at my dresses, cheering, booing. I'm not really paying attention, I'm listening to what Caesar is saying.

The wedding dresses cut of and the camera's turn off. " Stat tuned for the Quarter Quell announcement!" He hollers at the crowd.

The reading of the Quell card.

Everyone is ushered out, and I glare at the T.V as Snow takes the stage. He reminds us of the Dark Days, reasons why the Games were invented. It was decided that every twenty five years, a glorified version of the Games would take place, named the Quarter Quell.

" On the twenty fifth year," the President says. " As a reminder that children are dying due to there choices to rebel, each district was forced to hold a meeting, were the citizens would vote on the children that would be put in the arena.

" Then, on the fiftieth year, as a reminder that two children died for each Capitol child, the districts were asked to enter twice as many tributes as usual."

I try to imagine what that would've been like for Haymitch. He did win that year after all. How did he do it?

Haymitchs eyebrows knit together and my mother says, " I had a friend, Maysilee Donner, who was reaped that year."

" Yeah, I had an alliance with her, " Haymitch gruffs.

" Now for our third Quarter Quell," Snow says. A little boy in a white tux steps forward, holding a box out. Snow plucks the paper from the box, and the boy walks off. He opens the envelope and peers at it, he appears to be sniggering.

Something's wrong.

" This year, as a reminder that even the strongest of your people cannot over power the Capitol," he says. " The tributes of the 75th annual Hunger Games will be reaped from the existing pool of victors."

What? What does that mean?

Then it clicks. In 12, there's two male, one female. . . Me.

My first thought? I'm going back into the arena.