Chapter Twenty Four <3 Let The Games Begin

Haymitch appears suddenly. " The baby bomb was a stroke of genius," he says, " but unfortunately, the Games are still happening."

" Of course," I mumble. " Where's Effie?"

" Was ordered to go home." Haymitch says.

I sigh sadly. " Then I'll never- I mean Pe- I mean we'll never see her again. Tell her we love her." I stutter.

Haymitch is silent, then a tear rolls down his cheek. " Well. I guess this is goodbye."

I start sobbing and run into his arms. " I love you, Haymitch, never forget that."

" I love you too, sweetheart." Haymitch says extremely quietly. I release him, and he gives Peeta a quick hug. " Get some sleep, you'll need it." He says unhappily.

" Of course," Peeta says, wrapping his arm round my sobbing frame. " You take care, Haymitch."

" Katniss!" Haymitch shouts as we start to walk away. I turn around. " When you're in the arena, just, remember who the real enemy is. That's all. Now go. Night."

We walk to my room, and Peeta showers. I wipe off the layers of makeup, and we curl up in bed together. We are silent. Not sleeping, but dreaming. Dreaming of the horrors of the arena.

Cinna and Portia arrive with the sun. They tap on my door tentatively, then enter. Apprehensively, Peeta gives me a kiss, then proceeds to leave. But before the door shuts, leaving only me and Cinna, he says, " See you soon, okay?"

" See you soon." I whisper to the closed door. Cinna takes my hand and leads me out the room. He head up the million flights of stairs to the rooftop. A hovercraft is already taking off, and when I see Peeta peering down at me through the window, a tear rolls down my cheek. Cinna squeezes my hand.

There's another hovercraft awaiting Cinna and I. We board it, and I get a few glares from the employees. I glare back, except ten times worse.

The ride must take a few hours. We don't talk. Not with our mouths. Our eyes seem to have a little conversation though. When we've arrived, Cinna leads me into my own private room for the five minutes I have alone with him before the Games.

He hands me a black and silver one piece suit, and I put it on. It hugs my figure, of course showing off my bump. A year rolls down my cheek and I rub it tenderly. " It's gonna be alright, baby," I sooth, before dropping my hand and walking out.

Cinna pins the Mockingjay onto the front of my suit. " High ventilation. Somewhere hot I'm guessing." I just nod.

" 30 seconds." Is beamed around the room. I start to hyperventilate. Cinna pulls me into a hug, then pulls out. " 10 seconds."

I turn to get into the tube. " I'm still betting on you, girl on fire." Cinna says. I nod, back facing him.

" Thank you for everything, Cinna." I say, before stepping in. I'm frozen all of a sudden.

But then two Peacekeepers enter, and u stare into Cinna's eyes as one of them hits him over the head. He falls to the floor, unconcious. I scream, banging my fists against the glass. " No! Don't hurt him!" I yell. They pick him up, just as my view is concealed.

All I can do is wipe my tears and stand up straight, as I enter the arena. I'm surprised at what I see. Water. Water everywhere. I'm on a beam, beside a district 1 and a two.

I can only form one clear thought.

This is no place for a girl on fire.

The canon goes of, and without thinking, I dive into the water. The coldness is blinding, and I jump onto one of the beams. One of the other tributes is just behind me, so I get up and start running towards the Cornicopia. The tribute behind me soon slips and falls into the water.

Meanwhile, I reach the Cornicopia. I grab the bow and arrows, but here a rustle behind me. I quickly load my bow, and whip round, to be faced with non other than Mr Finnick Odair.

I pull my bow back, ready to shoot, but he puts his hands up in mock surrender, and says, " Woah, slow down there, girly. Good thing we're allies or I'd be dead." He holds out us wrist, showing me a bangle that matches the one Haymitch wore.

" Where'd you get that!?" I hiss.

" Where d'you think?" He smirks. I sigh and roll my eyes.

" Fine, I trust you,"

" Duck!" He yells. I do, and I hear the woosh of air as his trident flys over me. I stand up, and he pulls it out of Woofs chest. I wince. " You take this side!" He shouts, running to the other side.

A tribute that I vaguely recognise rubs towards me, but I shoot him in the leg and he falls into the water.

" Katniss!" Finnick calls. " Mags found Peeta!"

I gasp and run around the Cornicopia. When I get there, I see Peeta wrestling with another blond haired tribute in the water. I get ready to dive into the water but Finnick stops me. Before he dives in, he says, " Shouldn't exert yourself. Not in your condition."

Then he's slowly swimming towards Peeta. The two blonds continue to wrestle, but they end up under water.

Then the unthinkable happens.

The canon goes off.