Chapter Twenty Nine <3 And It All Comes Crashing Down

By the time we reach our destination, it's around 11:30, giving us half an hour before the lightning strikes the tree. Beetee drops to the ground immediately and begins winding some wire round the tree. Peeta's hand stays firmly on my waist, and I clutch Ivy with both of mine. We keep look out, in case Brutus and Enobaria attack. I doubt they will and if they do, they're obviously mentally deranged.

" I promise that if this doesn't work out, we'll break the alliance straight away. I won't let anyone hurt you or Ivy. . . ever." He promises to my ear.

I start to tear up. " Peeta, I'm scared."

" Why?" He seems urgent.

" I don't want to be the one to shoot first," I admit.

" Maybe non of us will," he states, " maybe non of us will shoot first."

Beetee turns round. " So I want Peeta and Johanna to take the wire to the beach. Katniss, Finnick, you'll protect Wiress and I."

" Wait, what!?" Peeta says, distressed. " You expect me to leave Katniss." He laughs, like it's the-most-stupid-thing-ever.

" Yes. I do. It's for her safety." He turns to me. " You should take Ivy. It'll be safer."

" No! I wo-" Peeta starts, but I take his hand and make him face me.

" Peeta, it'll be fine. We'll be fine." I assure him. He sighs unhappily and nods. I lean up and kiss him gently, before taking a step back. " See you at midnight," I tell him.

" See you at midnight," he repeats, then nods.

He and Johanna grab the wire and start running down the path. I glance at him, letting a tear fall from my eyes, and clutching my baby to my chest. Then we're off. We begin walking out of the section, Finnick and the district 5's ahead of me. We've only been walking about ten minutes when I hear the scream. . . his scream! Peeta!

I turn in the direction of the scream. " Peeta!" I yell, getting my bow ready. I whip back round to face Finnick. " What the hell did you do!?" I scream at him, threatening the bastard with my arrow.

He puts his hands up in sincere surrender. "Whoa, Katniss, I didn't do anything."

" You lying bastard!" I say, lowering my bow, and take off running towards my boy with the bread. I reach some boulders, coated in a red substance. I prop Ivy on my knees and run my pointer finger through the liquid, then squeak at the smell. Blood.

" Peeta!" I scream, and take of running again, holding a wailing Ivy to my heart. Then I reach the tree, where a figure lies. It's Beetee! How in the world did he get back here!? I can still hear Finnick screaming my name, but I ignore him, kneeling next to Beetee. I take his pulse. None. He's dead.

I look into his eyes, holding back tears. Why? Then I hear footsteps. I place Ivy on the ground and arm my bow, pointing it towards Finnick. He isn't facing me, but he still says, " Katniss, where ever you are. You know what you must do. Remember who the real enemy is."

I freeze. Haymitch's exact words. How does he know? I turn back to Ivy and pick her up, but see an arrow, with wire wrapped round it. Then I know. The enemy is not Finnick or Johanna, nor is it the Capitol. It is he, the one and only President. He is the enemy.

I load my bow with the arrow, still clutching Ivy. This will put her in danger, but with any luck, she will live. I stand up and Finnick whips round. " Thank you," I say.

" Katniss, let go of that bow!" He shrieks. I ignore him and hold it to the sky. When I hear the lightening, I think let it fly, miss Everdeen, let it fly.

And I do. I clutch Ivy, screaming as I'm blown of my feet, heat surging through me, and protecting Ivy from it. I thud to the ground and think of Peeta as I go unconscious. The first time I saw him. His sea blue eyes. The way kissed me. The look he gave me, which matched the intense love he had for Ivy.

I smile as I fade into death.

- - -  * * *  - - -

ONE MORE CHAPTER!!! Then, of course, the sequel! OMG guys! So excited for this! You guys are going to HATE me!

The sequel will be posted when the last chapter is. I thought chapter 30 would be a nice place to end it. So, when you get the update that this has been updated, head over to my account and add Mockingjay If Katniss Loved Peeta to your library!

Love you all!

- J x