Episode 15.2 ~ Edward

Martin and I remain in the café until I have to go upstairs and get ready for the rehearsal. Megs made a special dress for me—dark blue with brown leather boots that go halfway up my thigh. Thankfully I get to wear thermals underneath or I'd feel a bit like Pretty Woman pre-make-over.

As I dress, I notice the small changes my bedroom has undergone. A drawer of some of John's clothes. A full-sized bed to replace my twin — thankfully Megs foresaw this alteration when making the PotterWars bed set. I have not told John who paid for the bed set, only that Megs made it. Thankfully she invited us to stay with her while we get on our feet. Rent in New York is more than John and I can afford on our own.

The rehearsal takes place at the church. Megs and Leah are my maids of honor, so they are there. Frank practices giving me away. And Patrick and Teddy agree to stand up for John. Once the seven of us are done practicing, which only lasts a half-hour, we take a cab back to Betty's. Jason and Martin are already there waiting. Both dressed up as if they rehearsed with us. 

Betty keeps the conversation centered around Megs. Her plans. The work she's done. If she's packed everything she needs for staying with Leah for a week. Really, I don't even need to be at the party. But Frank wants me here in order to keep Betty from being all dramatic. And, if I'm being truthful, the thought of my last night alone in my room is freaking me out.

Thankfully, Martin makes faces at me when Betty isn't looking, cheering me up a bit. Well, until she turns the attention to him. "You're not planning on staying outdoors tonight are you?"

Martin's round cheeks slide slightly down his face. After a moment's pause, he rises, pats Megs on the shoulder and then leaves.

"How could—"

Frank cuts me off with a glare and then turns to Jason. "He might listen to you."

Jason sets his napkin on the table. "I'll get him to the wedding on time."

Frank nods and then Jason is gone.

A whirl of emotions circles in my chest. Part furious with Betty for being such a witch to her own son. The other part hurt that Frank would look at me the way he did like I'm in the wrong.

I want to get up and storm out after Martin in a show of comradery, but Miss Too Polite butts in, Your aunt is making your wedding dinner. Do you want to ruin the whole thing over your pride?

I think about that for a moment. Do I really care if we have a wedding dinner? When everything else is so un-ideal? The answer is a resounding "no," but then I glance at John and wonder how hurt he will be if I ruin what little of a celebration he can give me. Part of me thinks he won't hurt at all. That he doesn't really care so long as we can finally have sex. The other part remembers that he's my friend and, despite everything, loves me.

I endure, mostly silent, the rest of the evening, which doesn't last much longer.

Walking home with our hands in our coat pockets and heads bowed against the icy wind, John and I make it back to our future home together. Megs goes up to Leah's to give us some time alone before she kicks John out at midnight.

"What's wrong?" John strokes my damp hair. We somehow make it back to my room and curl up under the PotterWars quilt.

"I wish they could be here... my family." I cringe, waiting for his cold shoulder.

His lips press to my forehead. "One day we'll go home, okay? Just not yet."

My heart patters, and I bend my neck back so I can look up at him. "Really?"

He runs his fingers down my cheek. "We can't survive our entire lives without Coccia House pizza."

I smile at that. "True."