Episode 13.2 ~ Inkwell

Deciding not to turn up empty handed, I pull out ingredients and whip together cinnamon rolls like the ones I made back at Troyer's, complete with glazed icing on top. When they are ready, I wrap up the tray and head down to find Martin. He said to come visit, so I assume that means he's back to living in the alley. Apparently, I'm wrong.

I stand in the dark passageway alone. There's no sign of his recent occupation. 

I kick the crate I usually sit on. Stupid, unreliable men!

An icy breeze cuts through the alley. I shiver, though the heat from the pan of rolls keeps my hands warm. My stomach growls. Needing sustenance, warmth, and someone to give me a second opinion before my patience wears off, I head into Tea and Tales

The line is seven customers deep, but my spot is open by the window, so I plop down in it. Usually, I try not to use my connections to bypass customers, but I'm very thankful when Leah approaches carrying two mugs. 

"What are those?" She peers into the tray, setting my mug down and taking the armchair beside me. 

"Cinnamon rolls for Martin. Have you seen him?"

"Not in a while." 

My stomach growling again, I pull back the plastic wrap. "Want one?"

"You look like you've got a lot on your mind," she says after I serve us each a roll on a napkin. "Jason talked to you then."

"I should have figured he'd tell you," I say.

Leah picks at her roll. "He didn't tell me, but it's easy enough to guess. He's been on edge since your dinner at Sarah's." 

"That was a disaster."

Leah nibbles on a bite of muffin, her expression contemplative. "He's been waiting for you here every morning and evening. Jason, I mean."

"I've been busy."

"Ignoring him."

"Writing a three-hundred plus page book," I add defensively, though she is too right. 

"How's John?"

"Working." 

She gives me a disparaging look. "If you want to talk about it, we can. If not, let me know and I'll make up something meaningless to chatter about." 

"Fine." I set my muffin down and lick my fingers clean before I tell Leah about Jason's warning and suspicions. 

"Do you think he's right?" she asks when I'm done.

"I know he is, but I'm not sure if it matters." 

"Hmm... Maybe not, but how will you know—"

"If I don't ask. Yeah..." I clutch my hand around the warm, red mug. "Part of me wonders if it isn't just better to leave the past in the past, you know? Start fresh... Jason obviously doesn't agree."

"I suppose he wouldn't." Leah gazes at the coffee table as she sips on her tea. "Have you talked to anyone else about this yet? Gotten a second opinion?"

"That's what the rolls were for."

Leah freezes. "You were going to Martin for relationship advice..." The statement is almost a question but not quite. 

I shrug, not realizing until now how silly seeking out a homeless man who is running from all his relationships for love-life advice is. 

"I'm not any better, mind you," Leah adds, "but I just assumed you'd go to Frank or your parents."