Episode 6.2 ~ Sherlock

I don't bother to argue—would there even be a point with Megs? But I am curious about this mysterious order, so I obey. Megs gave me black, white, and red plaid pants and a loose white blouse that opens at the back. I shiver at the thought and pull on a nude cami for underneath. The shoes are red ankle boots with high heels, I do not put these on but carry them with me to Megs's room.

"What are you doing?" Megs says, staring at the shoes.

"Detectives don't wear heals."

Megs crosses her arms. "Detectives blend in Zia. You live in Greenwich Village. We've finally discovered you're hot. Play the part!" 

I'm so flabbergasted I don't know what to say. She's got a point about the blending in thing, but I'm highly uncomfortable and at the same time flattered at the idea that I could possibly be hot.

"Sit." Megs points to the chair in front of her vanity set-up. I notice she's dressed to match me, but in blue, white, and purple plaid and no undershirt.

Adding some nice smelling products to my hair she smoothes it out and twists it up into a voluminous bun on top of my head. Then she gives me long, black lashes and red lips. Backing up to analyze her work, her studious expression turns into a smile, "O-M-Goodness, you are gorgeous!"

At her words, there is no need to add blush. "You're saying that a lot lately."

"What?" She caps her lipstick, hands me a black jacket, and leads the way to the door.

"O-M-Goodness."

"Oh, it's my new thing." We reach the sidewalk outside our building, Megs lets out a high-pitched squeal. "I'm so excited!"

I jumped and gasped when she squealed, now I stare at her with my hand pressed over my heart.

"Okay." She shakes off the excitement and takes a few deep breaths. "We're private detectives hired to track down suspected cream cheese terrorists. What do we do first?"  

Slipping out my phone, I enter the address into Google Maps and show it to her.

"Washington Street North... That's not very far." Megs hooks her arm in mine. "Let's nab these bad guys."

Not long later, though my throbbing feet would disagree, we arrive outside a townhouse across from the park.

Megs's brow pulls together.

"What?"

"This looks like the block Jason and Teddy lived on when we were kids." Megs squints at the front door of the building we're staking out. Her eyes scan to the houses on either side. "I can't remember which one... But they still own it—Jason works there. Hey, you don't think he ordered the cream cheese? For Bagels?"

I snort, but an unidentified object stirs in my gut. "Jason hates me."

"Jason does not hate you. You'll see when Sarah's gone. "

"He's got more reasons not to order from me than to."

"Not really. Zooks is amazing cream cheese," she holds up one finger, "Leah and Patrick are both raving about it," two fingers, "and—whatever else you two may disagree on—Jason is a good business man," three fingers.

I hold up one finger, "Jason would have to admit I was right to order from me," second finger, "He would have sent the cream cheese to Bagels."

"Not if he did it in secret."

"If this is his house, he's not James Bond material." Or Batman—okay, maybe Batman, but he'd better be working from the basement or something.