Episode 13.1 ~ Inkwell

I haven't seen Jason since our fateful dinner, nor have I seen much of John. He's working two jobs — making pizza and waiting tables for Uncle Frank, and dressing up as an elf at a local department store. We're fortunate to see each other for thirty minutes a day and we are both okay with that. He obviously doesn't want me bringing up the fight at Sarah's, and I—hopefully not as obviously—don't want to be questioned on my level of feelings for Jason. 

As for me, I've spent every hour I can at the library. I can write stories from anywhere, but the devotional writing goes better sitting at a large wooden table surrounded by other readers and writers. The ever-present essence of paper, ink, and binding glue encourages me. I'm not sure the other library patrons are happy about my constant presence—I avoid leaving until closing—as the room is always much colder with me around. But the librarian waves and smiles each day when I walk past her desk — librarians are the best. 

John swings by to visit on his way to the North Pole. We much on pizza outside, and then he kisses me and hurries off. Today, I watch him walk away in wonder. New York is working out much better for him than I imagined possible. Throwing my trash in the closest bin, I head back inside not worried about someone swiping my stuff. The library regulars keep an eye out for each other when we need breaks. This city isn't so terrifying after all. 

I'm thirty minutes or so into the twenty-fourth chapter of the devotional when a tall figure plops down in front of me. I jump but catch the scream before it exits my mouth. 

"Jason!" I whisper. 

He folds his hands on the table. "Can we talk?"

I glance to my left and right. My acquaintances shoot me looks—we have an understanding of silence. My gaze flickers back to him. I hold my finger to my lips. 

Jason frowns but gets up and pushes his chair in. He walks around to my side of the table, bends down, and whispers in my ear. "Please give me a moment of your time... Martin's waiting outside for us."

I sigh but get up and follow him out front. 

"Hey, Zia." Martin holds up a mittened hand to me. It's been a while since I've seen him. 

"Long time no see."

Martin shrugs. "Been around."

I purse my lips. 

He holds up a recycled-cardboard cup holder. "Brought you something to warm you up." 

I take the Tales cup already knowing what's inside. "Thank you," I say though I don't believe for a second that bringing cocoa is Martin's idea. 

"Got you muffins too." He hands me a brown bag and then glances over at Jason who makes an almost imperceptible nod. 

"Well," Martin scratches his beard, "I'd better get going. Come visit me sometime, okay?"

"You just got here," I point out. 

"Busy man." Martin backs away to a bike. I notice there's a basket on the front with a big, brown bag in it. "Talk to you later." He waves and kicks off, crossing the street. 

I turn to Jason. "What was that all about?"

"I knew you'd want to see him. Do you want to sit and eat your muffin?" He points to the brown bag I'm clutching. "There are two banana nuts." 

I merely give him a look. 

"Fine, but don't get mad at me, okay? I still consider you my friend. And, therefore, I'm under certain obligations to bring to your attention things that I would want brought to my attention."