Episode 15.3 ~ Edward

"What!" It's not a question, and I'm on my feet in a flash as I picture my fourteen-year-old sister somewhere in Manhattan all alone. "When did she leave?"

"We don't know."

"Does she have the address here?"

"We," Maem's voice catches, "don't know that either."

"I'm going to find her. Don't worry."

There's a soft sob on the other end. 

"I'll call you right back, Maem. Stay by the phone."

I hang up and answer Leah's wide-eyed stare as I race to my room to dress. Once I explain about what Miriam did, I rattle out an impromptu plan. "John and I have to get to the train station."

"You should call Megs," Leah says, pulling out her cell. "I'll call her."

"I don't care about the wedding right now! My little sister could be lost in the middle of the city!" My voice is a shriek. 

Leah gives me a look as her phone is pressed to her ear. "Megs. There's an emergency. Get back here and bring John with you – he can stay in the hall, but he needs to be here. I'll explain when you get here... Yes, bring your grandparents too, if you can. Just hurry." Leah glances at me. "No, she's still here but I don't know how long I'll be able to hold her." 

I huff. No one's holding me anywhere. 

"I'll call Jason."

Gulp. Okay, physically he can restrain me a lot better than Leah. So I have to make my break before he gets here. 

"Jason, we need you now!" Leah shouts into the phone as I bolt for the door. 

Unfortunately for me, it seems Jason is across the hall because I run smack into him. His arms catch me. 

"Let me go!"

"Don't!" Leah screams. "Drag her back in here." 

I'm thankful that Jason doesn't immediately obey. 

"Do you want Megs to find out you let her get away?" Leah demands.

Jason glances down at me. "I'm sorry about this." 

"No!" I hit him, but he merely tosses me over his shoulder and carries me back into the apartment. Leah clicks all three locks on the door before he sets me down on the couch. 

"What's going on?" Jason asks Leah. 

She gives him the Cliffnotes version. 

"I'm going to go look for her," Jason says. 

I stand to follow. "I'm coming with you."

Jason hesitates. "You need to get ready for you wedding." 

"I need to find my sister!"

"I'll find her, Zia."

"You don't even know what she looks like!" I stomp my foot in frustration. Why are these people delaying me? Don't they know how young and innocent Miriam is? Don't they know she's never been anywhere but Wooster, Ohio? "She's probably still dressed Amish," I moan my next worry. She might as well have painted a sign for every criminal in the city on her back — easy target. 

Megs bursts through the door a minute later, followed by Betty. Both breathless. "John's in the hall. What happened?"

"Miriam's here," I say. 

Betty gasps. 

"Where?" Megs looks around. 

Leah steps forward and explains. "She's not here. She ran away and left a note that she was coming to find Zia. We think she might be lost."