Episode 4.1 ~ Mr. Wickham

Jason and I have been on opposite ends of a metaphorical circle for a nearly a month. Other than that, nothing has changed from my predictable, monotonous routine. Oh, and I've eaten a peanut butter, banana, and strawberry jam sandwich every day for lunch since our reunion. I'm not sure if there's a physiological explanation for this, but if there is I'd really like to know. I do get out more. Now that Leah and Patrick are both stocking Zook's, I've set my sights on expanding the reach of my family's business around the Village. This entails carrying a hefty cooler and racking up steps on my phone's internal pedometer. On the positive end, I've enjoyed a lot of free meals that do not consist of pizza. 

Now that Megs is either performing or at rehearsals most evenings, Leah joins me for dessert on her way up to her apartment on the seventh floor. Whereas Megs knows just about everything about movies and TV, Leah is a bookworm of the highest rank. There's nothing I've ever read that she hasn't read at least once. Including Harry Potter which she has out re-read me twice over—I've met my soul sister.

Monday nights, when Megs is home, we all watch Supergirl together and Days of our Lives re-runs if Abigail is in them. Then I recount the latest episodes to my parents, who story-out vicariously through me. Life has become its own new brand of perfect—well, livable. He's always there in the background of every thought and breath. I can't help but wonder what he's doing. Each time I picture him, I see him standing at his workbench shaping a new creation. The sun shines through the barn window, glistening against his light-red hair..... 

"Sarah's gone," Megs skips into the apartment, letting the door slam behind her. She's wearing her post-performance yoga pants and skin-tight long-sleeved top.

I'm curled up on the sofa, cradling a hot cocoa from Tea and Tales courtesy of Leah who sits on the other end of the sofa reading a battered paperback procured from Betty's Books across the street. I'm having one of my introspective moments filled with a red-headed boy with dimpled cheeks, blue eyes, and a smile that makes me homesick. 

Megs plops down in the armchair and kicks off her tennis shoes. "Technically she's still here, but she's leaving the day after Thanksgiving."

"Where's she going?" I ask before letting myself be thankful.

"Christmas shopping in Europe."

I lower my hot chocolate. "Why?"

"Who cares. Jason—the real Jason—will be back." Megs sighs and leans back in her chair. "Did you try on your costume?"

I blush so fiercely my ears steam. Megs is throwing a Halloween party tomorrow night and insisted on making the costumes herself. I had no idea dressing up would require so little clothing.

Leah lowers her book, a smirk on her face.

"What?" Megs says.

"There's no..." I motion to my midsection and then to my entire upper body.

"Ariel wears a clamshell bra."

I grimace. "Could she put a t-shirt on over top this time?"

Megs crosses her arm. "You are ruining everything!"

"What am I ruining?"

"My making you actually sexy!"

Crickets. "I don't want to be sexy..."

"Well, you're doing an excellent job of it." Megs stares at the blank TV screen. "How is Jason ever going to realize he's in love with you, dump Sarah, and whisk you off into the sunset on a sparkly white horse?"