Episode 8.1 ~ SpongeBob SquarePants

That dream costs me more than I want to admit. Thankfully, I don't have to see Jason again until Thanksgiving morning — if you don't count his unwanted appearance in my subconscious each night. If he didn't look like Batman, this would not be happening. 

The scent of roasting turkey wakes me on this fateful morning of thankfulness. I stumble out of the room wearing my Jedi pajama pants and t-shirt. The clock above the fridge reveals it is 8:30am. I groan and divert my course from the fridge to the bathroom. There's no time for hot cider; Betty expects everyone seated in front of her TV by 9am sharp.

I brush my teeth, comb my hair, and splash water over my tired face. Still feeling icky, I strip down and jump in the shower, scrubbing off last night's nightmare of Jason sneaking through my window and revealing he's actually Batman. When I asked him what he was doing in my room, he replied that he was saving me.

"From my pillows?"

"From John."

Dream-me's mouth fell open. "How do you—?"

"He's my archenemies. He's come to kidnap you."

When I glanced over my shoulder at my dream-door, John stood there wearing his normal Amish clothes but with the addition of a thick belt and a gun holstered on each hip. An Amish cowboy? 

I woke as dream-Jason grabbed me and whisked me out the window. The scariest part was feeling safe in his arms.

As I dry off, my thoughts turn to my family. Maem will have started her turkey by now. Hannah will be up helping make the side dishes—she makes the best scalloped potatoes, like Grams—still wearing her PJs. Maem and Daed let us be a little lazy on certain holidays. Though Daed will be outside by now, fully dressed, and milking the cows; when he returns, he'll change into PJs too. Maem won't make anyone dress until right before the guests arrive. I love PJ mornings.

In my room, I stare at my phone which lays on the nightstand with the charger plugged in. 

Thinking of my sister and parents celebrating without me pierces my gut with a sharp blade.

If I call, will I be able to bear hearing their giggling in the background? But if I don't, will I be able to face Betty's scowls today?

Sigh. I have only a few minutes before I'm late to Betty's, but I unplug the phone and dial home.

Daed answers, "Happy Thanksgiving!"

"Happy Thanksgiving, Daed.... How are the cows?"

"Juicy," he laughs at his own joke. "Are you going to your aunt's?"

I nod. "Tell Maem and the girls I say hi."

"Oh, I was supposed to tell you the same from them.... Have a good time, okay?"

I nod again. "Love you, Daed."

"Love you, Jedi."

We hang up and I stare out the window wanting to beam myself home for the day. But he'll likely be over for dinner, and I'm not sure I can take seeing him when he doesn't want to see me. Not the real me. He wants Amish-Zia, the girl the that never really existed.

For fifteen years, he was what I was thankful for. Him and Gramps and Gram. Now they're all gone. 

Trudging over to the dresser, I snatch out a fresh set of PJs. If I can't be home, I can at least still share one tradition with my family.

***

"You're late," Betty snaps when she opens the door to let me in at seven after nine. Her eyes scan me over. "What are you wearing?"