Chapter 1: The internship

Hi there! Im super excited to be publishing this story. I'm going to wait a little bit before I start updating regularly to see what kind of feedback you guys give me for this story cause i want to know from you guys if it's worth continuing :) I'm planning on finishing up one of other fanfics as well so it will give me more time to work on this one.

~

Ivy Bell:

"Does this look professional enough?" I nervously glance down at my outfit before looking back up at Marco.

My best friend looks up from his phone, arching an eyebrow at me. "Are you serious? Does it look like I know anything about being professional looking?" He points down to his outfit.

I take in his old battered converse that looked like he walked 4 miles in mud and dirt before he got here and his ripped jeans that had a few streaks of mud at the ends. He was wearing a dark shirt with his old worn out leather jacket and a bright orange baseball cap with the words 'Joe's Hotdogs' on the front. I cringe at the orange accessory before looking back at the mirror in front of me.

Today is important. I'm going down to Patricia Mallette's fashion studio to start my internship. I was over the moon when I found that I would be getting the opportunity to work and learn from the famous fashion designer herself.

It's one of the reasons I moved all the way here to New York from Oregon in the first place. That, and because I got accepted into a great university here in New York City.

I take in the image in the mirror in front of me. I hair is pulled back from my face into a high ponytail.

I'm wearing a fitted tight skirt that reached a little bit above my knees and a sheer, silk blouse tucked in with cute cuffs at the end. It wasn't all that fashion forward, but it looked professional for my first day.

"You look fine, Ivy." Marco reassures me. He stands up, dusting the flecks of dried up dirt from his black skinny jeans and grabs my apartment keys.

He twirls them around a finger, "You ready to go?"

Nodding, I grab my bag and put my shoes on before leaving my apartment.

We walk the busy streets of New York City towards the subway station, side by side.

A few people give us weird looks as we pass them, probably wondering why one of us were a little more dressed up while the other was dressed down. Or as Marco liked to refer to as 'Minimum wage chic.'

Honestly, Marco didn't care for things like fashion and style. His taste in clothes were more grunge, but it worked well with his sour and harsh attitude.

It's kinda weird how we're best friends considering how different we are. Marco couldn't give a damn about what people thought of him whereas I was a little more shy and awkward.
If something was bothering him he would let that person know where as I would stay quiet and not say anything.

Two girls pass us and eye Marco up, before one whispers to the other about how cute he was despite the way he dressed.

Marco doesn't seem to notice as he takes big strides, his usual cold glare and scowl on his face.

"You sure you're okay taking the subway on your own?" He finally asks when we've reached the dingy looking place.

Lots of busy people passed by us, pushing through here and there.

My nose crinkled from the awful smell that circulated, but I nodded. "I'll be fine," I assured Marco. "It'll just be for a little while anyway. At least until my car gets fixed up."