Zeke and Sydney: Lovers or Friends Chapter 4

During the next week, Zeke was knee deep in work. On Friday, he was drafting court documents with a fellow attorney when his office phone started to ring. The loud noise ruined his concentration. He was livid that his secretary had put a call through while he was working.

Taking a deep breath, he answered the phone putting it on the speaker. "Brenda I thought I told you to hold my calls," he reprimanded. The two of them had been working together for over a year, and she knew the routine. When he had a significant trial, he didn't like to be disturbed.

"I'm sorry sir, but it's Sydney," she apologized.

All of his anger quickly vanished at the mention of Sydney's name. "Put her through."

"I hope you didn't yell at that poor woman." Sydney's voice drifted over the phone a minute later. Zeke noticed Brian's head pop up in interest.

"She's lucky it's you or she would've gotten a lot worst. What do you need a baby girl?" he asked Sydney while still looking over the case file.

"I just wanted to know whatcha doin' tonight?" He knew she was smiling by the tone of her voice. Her good mood instantly brightened his.

"I ain't gotnoshin planned," he good-humoredly replied. "You want to get together?" He hadn't spent much time with her since coming back home from the wedding last weekend.

Sydney laughed. "I was hoping you could be my entertainment. Maybe you can put on a G-string-"

"Sydney you're on the speaker, and I'm not alone," Zeke interrupted. He knew she was going to say something outrageous.

Her giggled drifted over the speaker once again. "I'm sorry! Whoever is listening I'm just joking. Zeke is too straight and narrow to wear a G-string. He prefers silk panties."

Brian shook his head amused by the situation.

"Syd, I'll call you later." He was about to hang up when Sydney started shouting.

"Wait, wait! Let's meet for dinner at seven."

At the mention of food, his stomach started to rumble. "The usual spot?"

"Yes, sir."

Dinner sounded like a good idea. He didn't feel like doing anything extravagant. "Alright."

"Bye, Mr. Coleman," Sydney whispered seductively into the phone.

He ended the call with a chuckle before focusing back on the paperwork. He felt Brian's eyes on him. "What?" he asked looking up at him.

Brian pointed to the phone. "Girlfriend?"

Zeke shook his head. "Best friend."

"Really?" Brian asked puzzled. He was sitting in front of Zeke's desk and observed the pictures positioned at the edges. There were three photos. One with an older couple, another picture of Zeke with three guys that had his same features and then one of him and a young woman. He picked it up. "Is this her?"

Zeke nodded his head. "Yeah, that's Sydney."

"She's good looking," he commented still holding the picture.

"She is."

"She got a man?"

"She does," Zeke easily lied. "Big mofo, that just got out of prison for attempted murder. He considers me family but he'll rough up any other man that gets close to her. The last one is still in the hospital suffering from a concussion."

Brian put the picture down rapidly. "Never mind."

Zeke smiled. "Yeah, it's better if you stay away."