Chapter Thirty-One

When I found out the news about Lukas attending the ball, everything seemed so much more real. My preparations started to become more intense and I made sure I got every little detail down. Every dance became perfect, my posture was starting to be commented on by other servants, the way I walked changed. Fooling a room of people I don't know would be easy, fooling Lukas would be a different story.
The tricky part was how to convince Lukas I wasn't anywhere near the ball. Stephen and Victoria both agreed that he would go looking for me as soon as he got here. So we needed to come up with a story to tell Liz and the other servants as to where I would be. We decided two nights before the ball that I would be sent to the town to retrieve some last minute things for the ball but was held up due to a storm.
Stephen approached Liz the night before the ball and broke the news to her. She about had a heart attack because she didn't know what she was going to do without me, but Stephen reassured her that I had already taken care of everything. And I had. I made sure everything was already in place before I went upstairs to Victoria's room to begin my hiding. I would stay locked in her room all day and night to avoid Liz. The plan went perfectly. It was the day before the ball and I could hear everyone bustling around hallways running from room to room. A few of the guests had arrived a day early because their journey was so long they needed rest. They stayed in the various guest rooms. But it was nice to sit back and do nothing for once. I stayed in Victoria's closet reading some books I had grabbed from my room. I had always meant to read them, but I was never able to find the time. Now, I finally had time to breath and think.
And that's when my nerves got the better of me.
I would watch from the window of Victoria's bedroom as the carriages pulled up to the Estate. One after the other, at least ten and none of them were his. My heart pounded as each door opened only to fall once I realized it was another one of Ophelia's friends.
But around three in the afternoon, Victoria comes running into her room. Her cheeks were red from her haste and her hair was a bit out of sorts. I noticed some leaves were caught in the back of her dress and briefly wondered if she was in the forest with Stephen again making last minute plans.

"He's here." She huffs. My breaths stops as I rush to the window, and sure enough there he is. He doesn't have a carriage. He rides on a black horse with white spots. He hops down and scans the area around him. I admire the way his hair catches the sunlight and reflected it. It always made him seem so lively. Then his face turned towards Victoria's bedroom and I swear for a moment he sees me. His blue eyes seem to see straight into mine and I think the entire thing is over. All the planning and practicing had gone to waste all because I had to get a glimpse of the man I will probably never get to talk to again. But Stephen walks out and strikes up a conversation with him. They talk for a good while and then part ways. Stephen leads the horse back to the stables and Lukas walks into the house.

"Isn't he so handsome?" I turn to see Victoria leaning against the window sill, her head rested in her hands. She watches after Stephen with a dreamy look on her face. I can't help but laugh and roll my eyes.

"Oh dear heavens." I walk back to the closet to continue my reading.

"What! You were thinking the same thing!" She follows me, not thinking about how loud her voice was getting.

"About Stephen? Oh dear goodness, no!" I pretend to gag and she playfully hits me in the arm.

"About Lukas!" I stop and I watch her for a moment. My smile falls and I can't help but feel the weight again on my shoulders. "Oh Mae, don't worry. It will all work out."

"Says the one who gets to run off with her love tomorrow." I walk into the closet and this time she doesn't follow me. I know what I said was a bit rude, but to be honest I didn't care. This time I was jealous. I wanted to be Lukas and I wanted him to be with me. But I don't think things will be able to work out. There are too many factors that come into play. One, most people can't hold a respectable job with a wife like me. Especially someone who is to be king one day. If people were to find out what I was, then things would fall apart for him. I would rather him be happy than miserable all because his wife couldn't help who her parents were. And two, the circumstances are stacked against me. He has to leave after the ball because his father will have more work for him. I'm a servant, he's the prince. I'm not suited for that life, he's not suited for mine. Too many factors play against one another that tell me things just aren't possible for us.

"You know Mae, if you worry any harder the whole building might collapse." I hear Victoria's voice from her bedroom and I don't make a sound. "You never know what could happen. Just keep your mind and heart open to any possibility." I huff and I look back down at my book.

"You're going to want to get some sleep." Victoria now peeks into the closet.

"It's three in the afternoon!"

"Yeah, well you've been working hard these past two weeks. You've been through a lot. Heartbreak, break down, lessons, dancing lessons, and preparation for the ball. And besides, have you looked at yourself lately? You look like death." She giggles at her little joke, her hand coming up to cover her mouth.

"Fine, I'll lay down. But I can't promise that I'm going to fall asleep."

"You might be surprised." She says as she closes the door to her closet. And I was, because as soon as my head hit the pillow she had given me, my eyes closed and the dreams were quick to enter.